paint color? should be easy but isn't - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > paint color? should be easy but isn't

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
njyj609
1989 YJ Wrangler 

paint color? should be easy but isn't

I've got some bodywork to do but am having a hard time determining factory paint color, based on research I've done, I'm guessing "flame red", but a guess really doesn't work does it?....any advice? ...89 yj base model, red but a bit of orange undertone. Also anyone have recommendations for paint supplier?

njyj609 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is it the original paint? If so, take your VIN number and send it off to Jeep. They'll send you back a complete build sheet which will include the paint color and code information as well as every detail about what was on your vehicle when it rolled off the line.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...cation-433760/
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Paint code will be on data plate on firewall
panaceabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 06:27 AM   #5
Hanger18
1992 YJ Wrangler 

As stated it should be on the firewall. There are three reds for 1989,Bright red, Colorado Red, and Dark Vivid Red.
here is a link to a color chip page for 1989 Jeep http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipcrea...=Jeep&ret=code
I use PPG products at my shop. Are you painting it yourself? Do you want to go with a single stage or a base clear?
The PPG /Dupont numbers for the paint are to the right of the color chip. Take that number to your local paint jobber and they can set you up. A word of advice learned the hard way, dont get the "value brands" for your basecoat in a red. ie Shopline, Omni, Nasson. Get DBC or Chromabase. The cheaper brands dont cover as well and you will use more paint in the long run as well as the colors can and most times are a little "off". The Shopline/Omni clear coats are just fine. Make sure you get a polyurethane and not a acrylic clear
Hanger18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #6
lakeobum
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have bought from these folks. Great customer service! They can mix your paint to your code and put it in a spray can, and sell a two part clear in spray can as well. I have actually painted most of my jeep with it and looks great for a amateur paint job.
http://www.repaintsupply.com/
lakeobum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
88_olympic

I had some painting done at the stealership a long time ago. There were 2 reds that were a close match. I do believe there is a code on one of the doors. Have them spray a large card and compare it in the sunlight, in the dark and under artificial light. Had the rear corners refinished by a different bodyshop some years later and they thought it would be cool to just color match the paint they used and not consult me. The color they used has earned the name bubblegum bull $hi! Among my friends and me. Stealership is good for one thing in this case, at least they got the darn paint right
88_olympic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
njyj609
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Excellent info and links. Thanks all!
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
njyj609
1989 YJ Wrangler 

btw, I was planning to paint myself with compressor and gun, but will now look into the pre mixed can as suggested by lakeobum as its mostly just touch up work....
As to single stage or base clear? ...this I need to look into as I've no idea....
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #10
RedRockRed
2010 JK Wrangler 

I think most (all?) '89 YJs were made in Canada and will have a Pxx color code vs. Hxx (US made).
RedRockRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.