painless/ howell wiring harness tbi 350 87yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > painless/ howell wiring harness tbi 350 87yj

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
melvin1356
1987 YJ Wrangler 

painless/ howell wiring harness tbi 350 87yj

So Ive been searching the forums and Google and seen lots of recommendations for the painless and howell kits for this swap but nothing that goes in to what is needed to wire these kits in to the jeep. I have emailed both painless and howell about what they offer for this swap and haven't heard back yet and im impatient. My question is are either of these kits a total replacement style kit, ie replace all the jeep wires and the 350 wires so there is no splicing of the two harnesses. I am getting a rebuilder 350 for pretty cheap and it does not include the harness, not sure about the computer with the motor yet, so any aftermarket sources for a computer would be my second question I guess. the motor is a tbi 350 out of an 87 Silverado. the jeep is an 87 yj with a nv3550 already swapped in, np231 that im going to swap a d300 for and a narrowed danatrac d60 rear on 35s

melvin1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I used the Painless kit for my TPI and thought it was very good quality and easy to install. The harness was for the engine only and I dont believe they make a complete harness kit for a Jeep with a transplant engine. I'm sure you could probably have one made from Howell or someone for a cost. It wasn't hard to seperate and delete what I didnt need from the factory harness and add the Painless engine harness. Use a Haynes/Chilton manual or one from All Data for the wiring schematics.

My brake boster/master cylinder upgrade: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...grade-1287758/
5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You are set up with most of the loads off the starter relay. The interior wiring shouldn't need to be touched for an engine swap.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.