Pacesetter Headers 2.5L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pacesetter Headers 2.5L

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.comTJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 03-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
xlTravislx
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pacesetter Headers 2.5L

I got a nice crack in my stock exhaust manifold. So much that the exhaust piping is hitting my front drive shaft, Its messing with my o2 sensor and ruining really rich and my mpg went out the door.

I want to get a header mostly for the gained hp and performance, as oppose to just a replacement manifold.

Im looking at this http://pacesetterexhaust.com/91-95-w...r-headers.aspx
Has anyone ran this specif header?

whats the hardest part of the install? anything I should know before hand? If not the pacesetter then what other brands do you recommend?

THANKS JF!!!!

Unread 03-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Borla Stainless header on my 91. It has been on there for well over 15 years. I used to have problems with the exhaust manifold breaking bolts, but have not had a single issue with this header since the install.

The install is pretty straight forward. Search on the forum and you will find any number of threads about replacing the exhaust manifold.
jeep63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
Crunko
1994 YJ Wrangler 

im having exhaust issues with the broken bolt on the rear firewall. Makes me want a Borla. 15 years is a long time to have peace of mind.
Crunko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
D42
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have had mine on for 10+ years, Never Had a problem.

http://pacesetterexhaust.com/91-95-w...d-headers.aspx
D42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunko View Post
im having exhaust issues with the broken bolt on the rear firewall. Makes me want a Borla. 15 years is a long time to have peace of mind.
This is the exact reason I put the header on in the first place. I got tired of drilling and extracting out that broken rear bolt.

Now, watch.... Next month the jeep will develop an exhaust leak there
Unread 03-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
bruinjeeper

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've heard a number of stories documenting pacesetter and borla's cracking under the pressure or bad fitment, so-to-speak. I do not know what to listen to anymore. I hear stories here and there of success with either brand. I guess the rest of the people that installed one or the other are too busy enjoying their new headers to spread out some positive word about the product.

All that said, where else is there to turn? Unless you're fortunate enough to have a great boneyard nearby where OEM manifolds are readily available... buying a pacesetter is in the same range as an OEM manifold new. You might as well go with the pacesetter and take the risk for a little better look/performance and sound. An OEM downpipe (where i live) is pretty damn costly as well. The pacesetter takes care of the down pipe as well as the header portion with cost effectiveness. Seeing as how we know the cast OEM mani's are going to either crack or continue to bust the studs (which you should replace with bolts anyway), the market has left guys like us no choice but to go with Pacesetter's.

Now that being said... the stainless Borla is much higher in cost and does't include a downpipe. I have always been a firm believer in that we get what we pay for. There must be SOMETHING other than the fact that its stainless (with a trademark name) that makes it over 200$ more. My rationale says Borla would be more reliable. I think their quality control must be pretty good. With pacesetter you get a complete kit that does make your rig sound and respond a bit better (proven). But there is a 70-30 split between bad reviews to good reviews.

At the end of the day - i am in the same boat and am going to probably go with Pacesetter as i've thrown a ****load of money at the rig since November and to save that 200$ right now really helps. I hope i end up in that 30%. Taking that risk helps, if i end up in the 70% well, i am going to be spending that 200$+ anyways - i might as well take a shot at keeping it.

It's all a darn krapshoot i tell ya. and...i...just...can't...get...away
Unread 03-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Crunko
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I can't find any links to borla for my 2.5l. I do see pacesetter for about 175... Or Banks for 399. 4.0 has lots more options including cheap ebay headers and most exhaust companies. I'll probably go pacesetter when I get around to it.
Crunko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 06:01 AM   #8
paulsadog
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunko View Post
I can't find any links to borla for my 2.5l. I do see pacesetter for about 175... Or Banks for 399. 4.0 has lots more options including cheap ebay headers and most exhaust companies. I'll probably go pacesetter when I get around to it.
Dose not look like Borla supports the 2.5l and Pacesetter shows out of stock. Not to much support for the 2.5l out there, 4.2/4.0l parts a plenty.
paulsadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #9
xlTravislx
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just orderd my pacesetter ones for $210.
I could prolly find a OE manifold but Im always going to upgrade if I have the chance. Some people will give the argument that "if the stock one has worked for XX years, then why risk something else".
I hope to feel a noticeable difference in power. For the past 3 years ive had a missing bolt in my stock manifold which made a nice exhaust leak sound.
I have high hopes!!!
Unread 03-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #10
bruinjeeper

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i meant 'banks' in my previous post, not 'borla'.

Borla does make a header system for the YJ 2.5L, but i believe its for the earlier carb'd editions.

Like i said, already ordered the Pacesetter. SO there ain't no turning back. Gotta do the exhaust overhaul, just waiting on finishing up a few projects i have on the go. (timing chain, new springs and brake lines)

The exhaust system will probably be done by mid- or beginning of april. I will post back with updates or my opinion on it.
Unread 03-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #11
bruinjeeper

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlTravislx View Post
I just orderd my pacesetter ones for $210.
I could prolly find a OE manifold but Im always going to upgrade if I have the chance. Some people will give the argument that "if the stock one has worked for XX years, then why risk something else".
I hope to feel a noticeable difference in power. For the past 3 years ive had a missing bolt in my stock manifold which made a nice exhaust leak sound.
I have high hopes!!!
On a 4 banger. You're not going to experience much change or notice ore 'oomph' of any sort. MAYBE a little in the low-end. WHich would be nice (ihope for the same). You have to combine this header with a decent exhaust system cat-back. the 4.0L throttle body mod, a better air intake - and of course.... more spark and fuel. (ignition upgrade + 19lb ford fuel injectors). With all this in line.... i have heard myths of some pretty groovy driving response from our little 4 bangers.

I am also advised that the benefit gained will never justify the cost of the mods. Well i say **** that. It isn't about making this 4 banger a powerhorse. Im not dellusional about it all. Money? who gives a ****? i make money, i spend money. **** it - what good is money if you do not spend it? This is a life project. Not just my vehicle. I want to see how long i can keep her going and in my name. ANd while im doing that, its about making her the best she can be.

Ok... rant over
Unread 03-14-2015, 04:38 AM   #12
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Borla must have stopped making the 2.5 header since I purchased mine. I sure hope I don't ever need to "cash in" on the million mile warranty.
Unread 03-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #13
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Schaef89 installed the borla on his 2.5l and ended up returning it because it wouldn't seal
Unread 03-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #14
TXJeep95

I always wanted a Borla Header for my '95 YJ 2.5 and missed a chance on a new one here on Craigslist locally. It looked like a nice quality header. I just ordered a Banks Header and want to give it a try. I'm not sure if it comes with the down pipe or if just hooks up to the factory one. The reason I'm doing it is to replace my cast iron manifold, anything has to flow better than that. I haven't heard anything about Banks not sealing or fitment issues.
TXJeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 04:00 AM   #15
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

It's not about flow.
It's about finding the properly sized pipes to maximize the scavenging effects (vacuum between exhaust pulses) to increase lower rpm torque.
Bigger is not always better and headers do not automatically increase power throughout the rpm range. In fact, low end often suffers after a header install.
And I am also very skeptical when I read that "it felt more powerful" because the placebo effect of a change in sound is quite strong. I like numbers. Cold, hard dyno numbers.
Those header manufacturers are mighty proud of those headers ($$$$) and I would read everything I could before pissing out that kind of cash on something that might hurt performance down low where we need it.

And I am not talking about back pressure. I'm saying with an increase in tube diameter the scavenging effect of the pulses is reduced.
Pulses: Every time the valve opens and the exhaust exits, there is a pulse. In between those pulses there is slight vacuum. This is good and it's what you want. The vacuum helps the next exhaust pulse exit the head. That is how smaller pipes maximize low end torque. With a larger diameter pipe, the vacuum in between pulses is less.
At higher rpm, it's more of a constant flow so the scavenging effect is mostly lost. That is where large diameter pipes can have some (usually on a stock low rpm motor: none) effect.
Again, forget backpressure, that is a misconception. Blocking off the exhaust is never helpful. A free flowing exhaust with the right diameter pipe is important. Not too big, not too small.

So...
Try to read and cut through the subjective opinions (BS) written by people turned on by a cool sound and look for actual dyno numbers.
The cast iron manifold could turn out to be the best choice after all. I don't know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.