Oxygen Sensor question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oxygen Sensor question

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!GenRight Offroad at CCOR! 706-207-4140Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 02-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Oxygen Sensor question

I have a 92 YJ with a 4.0 automatic.

I got a check engine light code yesterday. Checked the codes and it is 21 (O2S stays at center or O2S shorted to voltage). No problem I can fix it.

The question I have is what does that cause in the engine? I have very little knowledge regarding fuel issues (IE: How a vehicle runs when lean, rich, etc...) The reason I ask what it causes is that I only drove it a little yesterday when I noticed the CEL today, I ran to the store and noticed that my jeep is quite a bit peppier. I stomp on it and she responds, much better than just the other day when I was out playing.

Is that due to something regarding the fuel and O2 sensor? Or is it something else and the O2 sensor just happened to crap out at this time?

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
witchy woman

The control module reads the exhaust via the O2 sensor and adjusts the mixture/fuel rate accordingly. They do wear out. I replaced one on my wife's van recently and it runs much better. Uses substantially less gas with a functioning sensor. It's just part of the whole ignition/fuel control sensor array. Your sensor may have been giving a false reading that made the engine run sluggishly.
Unread 02-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If it's original it prolly wore out. The ethinol(sp?) for winter gas grades nowadays is really hard on them.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
YJ_
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Mine crap'd out a while ago and I just got around to replacing it last weekend... It runs slightly better (no sputtering at highway speeds) and uses a bit less gas... I think I got a few extra miles out of the Heep when I filled up today...

"if ya can't duct it **** it"
[] IIIII []
YJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.