JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   oxygen sensor question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/oxygen-sensor-question-1000916/)

metalroses 03-28-2010 06:23 PM

oxygen sensor question

hi all Ive replaced my oxygen sensor since the old one was rotted, but since i replaced it the jeep has been turning off everywhere even driving and that's no good. anyone got tips? thanks

coachholland 03-28-2010 07:43 PM

When mine went bad and I replaced it, it took several cycles of driving for the computer to adjust itself to the new one and the problem "magically" went away. I'm assuming it's acting like it's stalling out?

Burnerman 03-28-2010 07:56 PM

You have the 4.2 carbed engine huh? That O2 sensor you replaced is just for the emissions computer. It can't stall your engine if it's bad. Actually there's a pretty good chance it's not doing anything useful unless your pulse Air Emission system has been maintained and untampered with. You problem is much more likly to be the ingnition module under the washer bottle if the Jeep just shuts off when your driving down the road. If the Jeep stalls out when you come to a stop then the carburator idle tubes are probably clogged.

Que89YJ 03-28-2010 07:56 PM

Did you do a battery reset. If you did and it's still doing it then check the wiring for the O2 sensor. Its very close to the exhaust manifold and it could be shorting. Also check the wiring on the intake manifold. It might have been "moved" when you did the O2 senmsor. If that looks good then you have 1 of a few issues to look at. Check for a leak on the exhaust manifold that would throw the O2 sensor reading off. Try disconnecting the new O2 sensor. It wil forc the system into open loop. The last possiblity I can think of is a bad engine temp sensor. If the O2 sensor was bad it wouldnt read the engine temp sensor because it would never come out of open loop to use it. Remember that you have 2 temp sensors 1 for the guage and 1 for the computer.

Louie4 03-28-2010 08:01 PM

Might want to check if the cat is clogged. Mine was and my motor would die after coming to a stop from a cruising speed.

Que89YJ 03-28-2010 08:11 PM

I didnt see the 4.2L. Its a diddferent ball game with the 4.2L Disreguard my post. Except try and disconnect the O2 sensor and checking the wiring aroung the exhaust manifold for a short. Sorry. I should read before I post.

metalroses 03-28-2010 08:39 PM

ok. ill chek those things wow ive just should leaved it like it was :(

Que89YJ 03-28-2010 09:06 PM

You could do the nutter bypass and the team Rush mods in the FAQ on your Jeep. It bypasses the computer and everyone who has done it seems to be happy with the results.

Burnerman 03-29-2010 06:10 AM

Check out this site>http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

metalroses 03-29-2010 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachholland (Post 9177207)
When mine went bad and I replaced it, it took several cycles of driving for the computer to adjust itself to the new one and the problem "magically" went away. I'm assuming it's acting like it's stalling out?

yes it is stalling a lot

metalroses 03-29-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Que89YJ (Post 9177874)
You could do the nutter bypass and the team Rush mods in the FAQ on your Jeep. It bypasses the computer and everyone who has done it seems to be happy with the results.

ive already done the team rush and the nutter bypass. maybe ive did it wrong who knows but i followed the purple and orange wires.

Burnerman 03-29-2010 07:31 AM

Buy a new ignition module. You wasted your money on that O2 sensor BTW....

Que89YJ 03-29-2010 07:54 AM

With the Nutter mod the O2 sensor shouldn't be doing anything I thought because the computer is bypassed? It would make me think your problem is something else.

metalroses 03-29-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Que89YJ (Post 9179559)
With the Nutter mod the O2 sensor shouldn't be doing anything I thought because the computer is bypassed? It would make me think your problem is something else.

maybe theres is another thing, but i dont know ive even adjusted everything and checked the vaccum hoses ect the rpm keeps going up and down its incredible how this things happens everything was working fine....

Que89YJ 03-29-2010 01:43 PM

If I am understanding you, the Jeep has an unsteady idle where its shifting up and downn RPM constantly and a stall as well? I know you said you check for a vacuum leak, did you check with starter fluid or brake cleaner. Could you have a problem with the carb? How long after you did the Nutter and team Rush mods did you start to have the problem?

The time now is 01:52 AM.