Oversize Idler Pulley - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oversize Idler Pulley

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oversize Idler Pulley

91, 4.0, AX-15. When I bought this Jeep the PO said it had A/C but he removed it. I don't believe it ever had A/C because I didn't find any trace of lines or vents. If it did he did a phenomenal job not disturbing anything else. After completing the recent head job I found an extra pulley they had rigged you along with the alt they mounted upside down with homemade brackets. Damn PO's. Now that evening is back together without A/C the idler pulley is squealing like a stuck pig. My mechanic buddy says I may need an oversize idler pulley. I say maybe the pulley itself is bad. Planning on changing it tomorrow, but was wondering if anybody has ever had a need for an oversize idler pulley?

KCCO

Unread 10-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

a pic or two would help

but no, I've never come across a different idler... I just had to specify A/C or no A/C when replacing the belt (obviously, A/C requires longer belt)
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As far as removing it without a trace A/C was a dealer installed item on YJ's so it would not be hard to remove without a trace. The exception being the two holes in the firewall near the heater core where the a/c lines would have come out.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ahhh...... well I guess it was removed then. I've got them 2 holes and was wondering what they were since they were not in my 94.
Unread 10-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would order the correct idler to go there and get the proper belt. Better to do it right than to keep doing it. I dont have a 4.0 but I am sure someone here has a pic of the non a/c set up they can post so you can see where the idler goes and give you an idea of the correct size.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah a pic would def be nice. I just got back from the Napa in town with a new pulley. I had already purchased a new belt when I put everything back together. Waiting on the Heep to cool a bit before I get working. In the mean time if anybody Has a pic of a 4.0 I'd love to see it
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

An update:

"Hey Chris did you check everything over? Yeah yeah I sure did. Did you make sure everything was tight? Sure did. Even had a buddy come over and look it all over"

One week and a squealing belt later I find I forgot to tighten the 2 rear bolts on the PS pump. Idiot!

Thanx for the help guys. KCCO!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.