Overpriced Mechanic Help! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Overpriced Mechanic Help!

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 06-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #16
Joe100
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yep!

Hi! I have to agree with this one I just did my U-joints on the front had to weld nuts on the bolts to get the 3 of them out plus the blue wrench plus new bolts oem aren't cheep spent about two days total on these. So whats your time worth? All sounds fair to me. But I do all my own stuff but I'm retired so I have the time. Joe100

Joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've done all of those repairs to mine myself. I'm so glad that I don't have to rely on someone else to take care of that stuff.

You should do it yourself. I'm certain there are plenty of tutorials here to guide you. Time to get intimate with your Jeep.
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #18
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
You should do it yourself. I'm certain there are plenty of tutorials here to guide you. Time to get intimate with your Jeep.
X2
Invest In tools and fix it yourself.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #19
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
Most mechanics charge "out of the book". So if "the book" says "valve cover remove and replace 1 hour" then they are going to charge you an hour whether it takes 10 minutes or 3 hours. You should ask them if they are charging you out of the book and if the answer is yes, then they should show it to you and explain how they used it to to calculate the estimate.

If any mechanic won't show you "the book" (and some won't), then go somewhere else.

Of course, "the book" is on a computer at this point, not an actual book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
all true. Remember most of get paid flat rate. So that hour for the oil pan that only takes 10min will even out when the next job comes along and pays 1hr and takes the whole hour or more. Never had a problem showing customers the labor times. Our labor rate is 85, or a tad lower(seniors/military). $100 for a u-joint replaced is a little stiff, i don't think they near an hour.

Rotten, i hope you aren't removing hubs to replace a rear u-joint.

Nailed it. Most mechanics go by the actual labor time and rate to quote jobs. I say most because there is some guys out there that will charge more hours to do a job because they feel the book time is too low.

These are also the gravy-suckers that recommend every single fluid flush and service when a customer doesnt need it.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.