Overpriced Mechanic Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Overpriced Mechanic Help!

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Overpriced Mechanic Help!

I took the Wrangler (4.0 6cyl 1995) to the mechanic the other day to see what all needed fixed on my oil pan. He's a family friend so there isn't any ripping off, other than the labor costs! I knew the oil pan was leaking and needed fixed and my rear U-Joint was going out. Here is the following statement on the repairs. Tell me what you guys think. I think its really overpriced.

Labor
Oil Pan Gasket - 210.00
Valve Cover Gasket - 75.00
U-Joint - 75.00

Parts
Valve Cover - 48.81
Oil Pan Gasket - 28.87
U-Joint - 28.00

Ive found all the prices for the parts that I need to do it myself. I just cant find a valve cover gasket. Again its a 1995 4.0 6cyl

Razorback23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I guess it depends on where youre from. Around here, if you were to actually take it to a garage, average mechanic gets paid $95 an hour so 75 isnt bad although everything there is pretty simple to do yourself with basic tools. And the parts, again, depends on what brands you go with. The valve cover gasket is like $15 from Qtec, valve cover around $45 and depending if you go with a spicer u joint or a whatever name u joint will determine that price.
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly, for a "shop price"... that is very fair. That's a hair over 4 hours at $50 for the oil pan (and that is a very low rate) and an 1.5 for the u-joint and valve cover gasket. That a tad high @ $50.00, but low if the hourly rate in your area is closer to $75-$100 or so.

If you can do it yourself, you save all of that money... so no worries!
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
I guess it depends on where youre from. Around here, if you were to actually take it to a garage, average mechanic gets paid $95 an hour so 75 isnt bad although everything there is pretty simple to do yourself with basic tools. And the parts, again, depends on what brands you go with. The valve cover gasket is like $15 from Qtec, valve cover around $45 and depending if you go with a spicer u joint or a whatever name u joint will determine that price.

The average mechanic makes far less than the rate you are quoting. The average shop may charge $95/hr, but the mechanic gets a much less.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Personally I'd do the u joint and valve cover( I recommend a fel pro blue permatex gasket) if you can find it. I've never done an oil pan gasket but have one in the wings for our Comanche.
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojeepman View Post
The average mechanic makes far less than the rate you are quoting. The average shop may charge $95/hr, but the mechanic gets a much less.
You get the point....If you were to take it to a garage to be fixed, youre paying x amount of money. Where or who that money goes and how its split up afterwards is not the customers problem
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Personally I'd do the u joint and valve cover( I recommend a fel pro blue permatex gasket) if you can find it. I've never done an oil pan gasket but have one in the wings for our Comanche.
x2

It should take you less than an hour to do both of them
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The oil pan is a snap. It just drops straight down, nothing to remove like cross over members, supports, etc.

Get an electric nut driver and you can have it off in less then 15 minutes. Just remember to put a dab of RTV in the corners by the crank before reinstall.

Mechanics need to make a living too. And running/owning a shop is very expensive. You are paying for all of this when you take your heep to a commercial shop or mechanic.
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I think the prices are pretty high but I do most of my own repairs so I'm out of touch with what a shop is charging. everything listed is easy to do and if you have never done it before a great learning experience.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Most mechanics charge "out of the book". So if "the book" says "valve cover remove and replace 1 hour" then they are going to charge you an hour whether it takes 10 minutes or 3 hours. You should ask them if they are charging you out of the book and if the answer is yes, then they should show it to you and explain how they used it to to calculate the estimate.

If any mechanic won't show you "the book" (and some won't), then go somewhere else.

Of course, "the book" is on a computer at this point, not an actual book.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds fair to me.

You can spend the money on tools to do the job and reuse those tools on future jobs

Or you can pay someone to do the work. I will be honest sometimes I get into projects I wish I would have sent out to the mechanic. With the help of this forum you can save a lot of money on shop bills and you will have a better understanding of how your jeep works. This way when it fails on a trail you have a chance.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

$75 for that ujoint is fair to me. Considering getting that hub off yourself might be a Pita.

Id do the valve cover myself. Thats right there and not awkward.

Some advice I can offer is havd him do the rear main seal if you have him do the oil pan
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:35 PM   #13
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
Most mechanics charge "out of the book". So if "the book" says "valve cover remove and replace 1 hour" then they are going to charge you an hour whether it takes 10 minutes or 3 hours. You should ask them if they are charging you out of the book and if the answer is yes, then they should show it to you and explain how they used it to to calculate the estimate.

If any mechanic won't show you "the book" (and some won't), then go somewhere else.

Of course, "the book" is on a computer at this point, not an actual book.
all true. Remember most of get paid flat rate. So that hour for the oil pan that only takes 10min will even out when the next job comes along and pays 1hr and takes the whole hour or more. Never had a problem showing customers the labor times. Our labor rate is 85, or a tad lower(seniors/military). $100 for a u-joint replaced is a little stiff, i don't think they near an hour.

Rotten, i hope you aren't removing hubs to replace a rear u-joint.
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #14
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oh!Lol!
I should use my reading skills better

Yeah that ujoint is the same as the valve cover. Right there and accessible

Now on the other hand if its $75 for a front ujoint id take that deal
Unread 06-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #15
RustedWrangler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback23 View Post
I took the Wrangler (4.0 6cyl 1995) to the mechanic the other day to see what all needed fixed on my oil pan. He's a family friend so there isn't any ripping off, other than the labor costs! I knew the oil pan was leaking and needed fixed and my rear U-Joint was going out. Here is the following statement on the repairs. Tell me what you guys think. I think its really overpriced.

Labor
Oil Pan Gasket - 210.00
Valve Cover Gasket - 75.00
U-Joint - 75.00

Parts
Valve Cover - 48.81
Oil Pan Gasket - 28.87
U-Joint - 28.00

Ive found all the prices for the parts that I need to do it myself. I just cant find a valve cover gasket. Again its a 1995 4.0 6cyl
www.rockauto.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.