Overheating out of ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Overheating out of ideas

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Camj37
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Overheating out of ideas

I have a 91 yj with 150xxx I replaced the radiator and cap, new 180 t-state, high flow t-state housing, new high flow water pump with counter clock rotation, and electric fan. Hoses aren't Collapsing. I had a head gasket check came back negative. I'm currently out of viable ideas. My normally trusted shop couldn't find anything after I gave up and sent it in.

My timing is off by a degree (or Presumed to be), there's a little knock like noise. And I think I need new injectors. But could these cause an overheating problem.

Camj37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
iflypa28
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just brainstorming here to try and help you out. Sorry if some of my questions seem stupid. When does it overheat, just idling or while driving at speed? Or both? I assume the electric fan is a mod. Is it blowing in the correct direction. It is possible on most for them to run backwards if wired backwards. Did it just start overheating out of the blue or did it start after some sort of repair or mantinence? I have a 5.9L grand cherokee as well as a yj and it has a factory electric fan. It had a bad connection and was running intermittently and overheating. Took me for ever to figure that out. Come to think of it, its a two speed fan as many are. Any chance yours is only running on low speed? That would do it.
iflypa28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
instg8tor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How is your timing off by a degree - its computer controlled for fuel injected 4.0L's.
Have you tried returning back to the engine driven fan? Would be worth trying to rule out any issue with electric fans.
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It would help if you describe the "how and When" its overheating.

Is it climbing at idle, but OK at speed? Usually attributed to cooling fan, leak in system, bad water pump, Airlock in upper hose.

Is it OK at idle, and slower speeds, but climbs at speed? Usually indicates a clogged radiator, pressure leak, dirty or inefficient radiator.

Things to check IMO:

That knock - exhaust leak at the manifold could cause some issues and sound like a knock. does the knock go away after it heats up? or is it fairly constant?
That Electric fan - Does it have a shroud? Facing the right direction? How is it controlled? tested the temp sensor?
That T-stat - tried removing it and testing it in a pot of boiling water to ensure it's not faulty?
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Camj37
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Never overheats at idle takes a long time at city speeds but fairly quick at highway speed.
The fan is a mod but it does blow in the right direction it's a puller fan but when I think about it is a 2 speed but the second speed never kick in.
The problem started either after I changed my t-state for the first time or after my fan control went out and I boiled over (both happened right after the other) but I live in AZ and it started to happen when the temp started to rise(100-120 normally)
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
iflypa28
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have had terrible luck with new t-stats. I've replace several only to have to replace them again. Maybe it's not opening all the way. I would test it in a pot of boiling water as suggested. It's not likely its the fan if it doesn't overheat at idle. There are some other good suggestions here too.
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
iflypa28
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I forgot to mention that I now invest in the high dollar t-stats not just the cheapest one I can get. There only a few bucks more, but I would be never get a fail-safe one!
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camj37 View Post
Never overheats at idle takes a long time at city speeds but fairly quick at highway speed.
The fan is a mod but it does blow in the right direction it's a puller fan but when I think about it is a 2 speed but the second speed never kick in.
The problem started either after I changed my t-state for the first time or after my fan control went out and I boiled over (both happened right after the other) but I live in AZ and it started to happen when the temp started to rise(100-120 normally)
When was the radiator last flushed and refilled?
How old is the radiator?

I had the same exact issue with our 91 YJ and it was a clogged rusty bad radiator. Replaced it and no more issues.

TJ FOR SALE
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

First you got the wrong Tstat it should be a 195. Your other issue lies in your choice of fans. Seems to me it is impeding air flow at speeds.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
Camj37
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My t-state came with my high flow polished powdercoated t-state housing it was a pretty penny for the set.
As for the knock it gets worse as it heats up once it hits a point it doesn't get worse. But when I drive down the highway when I take my foot off the gas it's rough and pushing it again its rough until I hit 2000rpm.
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Camj37
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The radiator and rad cap is brand new so is the fluid and I had it vaccum filled to insure all air was out.
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camj37 View Post
The radiator and rad cap is brand new so is the fluid and I had it vaccum filled to insure all air was out.
You have replaced the entire cooling system after your fan sensor boiled you over and now you continue to boil over.

On top of that, you now have a knock in the engine and rough running below 2000 rpm.

Sell it. Buy a Honda.

J/K

Are you sure you don't have a head gasket issue after boiling over? Sure sounds like it's internal.

TJ FOR SALE
Unread 07-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post

You have replaced the entire cooling system after your fan sensor boiled you over and now you continue to boil over.

On top of that, you now have a knock in the engine and rough running below 2000 rpm.

Sell it. Buy a Honda.

J/K

Are you sure you don't have a head gasket issue after boiling over? Sure sounds like it's internal.
Funny, sounds like my Jeep. Extra funny cause literally this morning my father rd me I should sell it and get a Honda lol.

I was like"nah, I'd rather just throw a v8 in it." Haha.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #14
Camj37
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's not rough in the normal sense it's pretty hard to explain. It's only rough like a weird vibration in the peddle only after driving on the highway for a while and when I take my foot off and back on. Once I get off the highway and start from idle its not there anymore.
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #15
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Unlike most here on this board I DO NOT LIKE ELECTRIC FANS. Yes I have run them and I go back to mechanical every time. The fallacy of extra power is just that a fallacy. The extra parasitic drag of the alternator supplying the amperage to run the fan outweighs any power advantage. When the engine turns the fan turns. What could be simpler or more reliable ?

The factory shroud and fan asm with the clutch should be your first investment. Little known fact is that the YJ`s that came with factory AC have a more aggressive fan pitch. If you think you need more airflow then I`d suggest one of those.

New radiator but what material and how efficient ? Do you have a winch or other item blocking the grille ?

I still do not understand your knocking issue. It may be the root cause or it might be something totally different.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.