Overheating at highway speeds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Overheating at highway speeds

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
jared-f
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Overheating at highway speeds

So my 89 4.2 only starts overheating on the highway at RPMs over 1600. Was running 1700-1900 the other day and it overheated in about 10 miles. I drive in the city everyday at around 1500 RPMs and no problems. Just did a tune up, new distributor, radiator, new carb(mc2150). Any ideas that might solve my problem?

jared-f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My initial assumptions are the waterpump.... Does it overheat at idle? Putting around on the trails?

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared-f
So my 89 4.2 only starts overheating on the highway at RPMs over 1600. Was running 1700-1900 the other day and it overheated in about 10 miles. I drive in the city everyday at around 1500 RPMs and no problems. Just did a tune up, new distributor, radiator, new carb(mc2150). Any ideas that might solve my problem?
Did you replace the radiator cap ? When you replaced the radiator. How about the Thermostat ? At hiway speeds you should have enough air keeping it cool. Mine runs at 175 on the hiway. Did you get all of the air out of the system ? Any seepage around the waterpump?
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Also does your thermostat have a tiny weep hole in it? The weep hole is essential to allowing air to properly bleed out of the system, otherwise air will be trapped behind the thermostat, which will prevent it from opening.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Cheap t stats often do not open enough to cool at highway speeds. Is it possible during gasket scraping some debris could have gotten into the block? This could also restrict flow through the t stat.

And as mentioned above, a weak radiator cap spring can allow the coolant to turn into steam.

I know people will disagree, but a properly functioning fan is essential. Especially during highway driving where the engine is creating much heat trying to move all the air.

When you refill the cooling system, remove the heater hose from the t-stat. It will fill nicely and get most of the air out. And if you switched to an aluminum radiator from the original brass and it has plastic tanks, you just reduced the cooling by as much as 30%. The brass tanks in the original really add to the cooling. Plastic tanks do not transfer much heat.
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

besides making sure there is no air in your cooling system, with a new distributor and carb installed I'd pull the spark plugs and see what they are telling you too..

you may be leaning out and running hotter at higher rpm's
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
jared-f
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress
My initial assumptions are the waterpump.... Does it overheat at idle? Putting around on the trails?
That's my thought too, so I'll be taking a look at that this weekend. No overheating at idle or on the trails. Just when its consistently running over 1600 RPMs
jared-f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

come to think of it, didn't the 4.2's come with either v-belts or serpentine belts and have different rotations on the pump depending on the belt system used?

make sure you have the correct pump..I think the serpentine belt set up used a reverse rotation pump
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 11-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
come to think of it, didn't the 4.2's come with either v-belts or serpentine belts and have different rotations on the pump depending on the belt system used?

make sure you have the correct pump..I think the serpentine belt set up used a reverse rotation pump
They both spin the same direction with Serp and V configuration
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
is it the 4.0L or the 2.5L that have reverse direction then?...I've heard there are Jeeps that use a reverse direction pump on them, and that they have an "R" cast into them to signify that they are in fact a reverse direction pump.
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 11-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 with serpentine is reverse rotation. It's stamped "R" on the impeller or body.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish
is it the 4.0L or the 2.5L that have reverse direction then?...I've heard there are Jeeps that use a reverse direction pump on them, and that they have an "R" cast into them to signify that they are in fact a reverse direction pump.
Op would have the 4.2
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
no, the v belt is standard rotation and the serpentine is reverse.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob
no, the v belt is standard rotation and the serpentine is reverse.
The belts are driven off the crank. I am pretty sure the direction of the crankshaft rotation has never Reversed.
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

your of course correct, the engines all rotate in the same direction but the belt configuration is different. I just changed my waterpump about 3 weeks ago, they show 2 different pumps for the 4.2. standard rotation for v belts, reverse for serpentine.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.