Overheating again! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Overheating again!

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
mtnracer190
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
That right there is your problem my friend. If your purchased your sending unit from either Advance Autoparts or Autozone, they read 30* hotter than actual temp right out of the box.
I had replaced both temp sending units in 2010 with autozone parts so I had the same thought and forked over the money for the dealership parts this time and it brought the temperature down on the guage slightly but it will still rapidly heat up to about 230F when I start driving on the highway. Im not sure if the temp would continue climbing if I kept driving becasue I always pulled over to let it cool back down.

I am taking a few different measures to impove air flow. I removed the ricer grill inserts that the PO installed. I think that it looks better too so I should have taken these off a long time ago.

With inserts:

Without inserts:

I didnt think that the condenser looked too beat up but then again I have never owned a car new than 10 years old. I talked to a local shop today and they said that with the way the condenser looked there was no way that I could be getting the proper airflow to the radiator. They said that a damaged condenser such as this could be easily striaghtened by "combing" my condenser. I found 2 kinds of condenser combs and for 11 dollars a piece I bought them both. They make different size combs and you use the one that fits in between the fins on your condenser. According to them this is a fairly common issue that people have but is very easy to fix. Since I work full time and go to college full time my days fill up pretty quick so since I have college classes tonight this task will have to wait until tomorrow.

mtnracer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #17
Dixierambler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

[quote=letitloose06;9797360]If your mechanical gauges are redaing in the correct range, I still bet you got a defective temp sender. Like I said earlier, I bought a new temp sender and my Jeep started running 20-30 degrees hotter that normal with only changing th temp sender. When I returned it and got a new one, every thing was good. It seems that the quality control from wherever Advance and Autozone get these parts from is not very good. I would still try buying a OEM sender from the dealer so you know you have a good part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
That right there is your problem my friend. If your purchased your sending unit from either Advance Autoparts or Autozone, they read 30* hotter than actual temp right out of the box. I have had 3 seperate sensors from seperate stores confirm this. One from Advance Autoparts and 2 from autozone, all read the same incorrect temperature.

it turned out that the senders that Autozone and Advance were selling were reading 30* hotter than actual temp.

I replaced mine with one from the dealership. Go to any local Chrysler dealership and pick one up. They are exactly twice as much as the Autozone replacements, however my jeep has never "overheated" again since I replaced it.

I will post a link to my thread in a moment.

HERE
I just wanted to follow up on this thread. I too was experiencing the same problem after replacing my sending unit with an Adanced Auto unit. Temps were reading 30+ over. I knew it could not be my radiator or waterpump. They were replaced about 6 months ago. Thermostat was new as well. I was about to pull the head and have it checked out when I ran across this thread. It solved all my problems. Picked a sending unit up from my stealership and put it in. Now my gauge reads correctly like it did before. There is something to this i.e., the difference between a OEM sending unit and aftermarket units sold by Advanced. I think letitloose06 hit it right on the head. Damn sure cheaper and easy to fix than pulling the head for nothing.

Thanks,

Jim
Dixierambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #18
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

EDIT: Never mind.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.