overheating 87 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > overheating 87

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
danthman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

overheating 87

i have, what i think is a unique problem. my jeep starts to overheat in 4th and 5th gear at hwy speeds, well around 50, around 2000 rpm. now in 4L crawling in the desert at the same rpm, it stays around 210. why would this happen? it has a mopar fuel injection kit, a 185 degree t-stat. could it be the transmission heating up? or sensors going out? vac-leaks?

Unread 03-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
danthman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

wow, nobody has any ideas?
Unread 03-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

remind me, is that a closed system or an open system(has a rad cap and overflow tank)

how do you know it is overheating??? The temp gauge goes up??? boils over???

If it is happening at speed but not going slow, I would suspect the fan clutch.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
UnFocused
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you have a 185 Tstat and it's 210 while crawling it's overheating there as well. The main difference between that and highway is that you're running sustained RPM's on the latter and likely not sustained while crawling, thus more heat generation. Have you flushed your cooling system? Are you sure the Tstat is good? You can test it with a pan of water on the stove with a cooking thermometer to see at what temp it actually opens up.

I have heard of some weird cases where the inside of a radiator hose detaches from the hose body, a flap if you will, effectively operating as a valve choking off coolant flow under higher RPM's so you might want to check all cooling hoses as well. How old are the hoses? Just some suggestions.
UnFocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

if the lower hose is spongy it could collapse at higher rpm. back in the day they came with a spring inside to keep this from happening. the newer hoses might not need them but im not sure. rev it up when its hot and take a look at the lower hose.
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
danthman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
remind me, is that a closed system or an open system(has a rad cap and overflow tank)

how do you know it is overheating??? The temp gauge goes up??? boils over???

If it is happening at speed but not going slow, I would suspect the fan clutch.
it has an overflow tank, and the rpms can be the same. with my gears i rarely need to get it above 2000 rpm. i dont think its the fan clutch, it was checked and it was good.
Unread 03-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #7
danthman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFocused View Post
If you have a 185 Tstat and it's 210 while crawling it's overheating there as well. The main difference between that and highway is that you're running sustained RPM's on the latter and likely not sustained while crawling, thus more heat generation. Have you flushed your cooling system? Are you sure the Tstat is good? You can test it with a pan of water on the stove with a cooking thermometer to see at what temp it actually opens up.

I have heard of some weird cases where the inside of a radiator hose detaches from the hose body, a flap if you will, effectively operating as a valve choking off coolant flow under higher RPM's so you might want to check all cooling hoses as well. How old are the hoses? Just some suggestions.
210 is about the norm for an I6, isnt it? i havent flushed the system and the t-stat is about a year old. ill look at the lower hose this weekend...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.