overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > overheating

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 10-23-2002, 05:50 PM   #1
BPAGS11

overheating

I have an 89' 2.5, and lately after driving it for the day it's been overheating. It runs fine all day at around 185, then all of the sudden it spikes and overheats. Is this my water pump or my
t-stat?? Any info would help. THANKS

BPAGS11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2002, 05:59 PM   #2
SeaBee
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure coolant level is ok first. It sounds like a sticking t-stat. Those are easy to replace. If that does not fix it, I think it would be a gage or sending unit problem. Try tapping on the gage (slim, I know) You might also try putting the heater on full blast, that should cool it down some. I really doubt that it's a water pump. It wouls likely o/h all the time plus it usually makes noise or leaks visibly. Oh, you might double check that you don't have coolant in your oil (milky) just to be safe. Hope this gives you a start.
Unread 10-23-2002, 07:06 PM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It spikes? You mean the gauge bounces from average to full hot really quickly? Its the guage then, or a wire, or the sending unit ..

If it actually tries to boil over, then I would look at the water pump or the t-stat first ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2002, 09:02 PM   #4
LoOpY

a coolant flush may also be in order. hows your radiator look? like a puzzle with a few missing peices, or is it all still there?
LoOpY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.