Overheating - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Overheating

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #61
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I was thinking about this thread last night. Thinking about the basics. What do we know? We know several components have been replaced. We know there is good flow. We know the temps are 230+.

IMHO, there is not enough air coming through the radiator. Something is blocking the air movement through the fins.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #62
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Exactly. That is what the shroud will do. It focuses the fan on the radiator. I am curious to see if he gets that big a drop with it. It's ruining about 20 degrees high. If it brings it into spec that is huge. I have heard of people having issues with the winch blocking flow. Waiting to see how this works out.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #63
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
Exactly. That is what the shroud will do. It focuses the fan on the radiator. I am curious to see if he gets that big a drop with it. It's ruining about 20 degrees high. If it brings it into spec that is huge. I have heard of people having issues with the winch blocking flow. Waiting to see how this works out.
Picked up the shroud today for 20 bucks with no hardware so I'll be going to homedepot or something tomorrow morning

And temps aren't at 230 till parked or at stop lights for a long time. freeway it barely goes over 210 and that's when driving above 65-70mph.

I said if this shroud doesn't work... A high flow radiator and high flow water pump might be a good idea.

We'll play it by year.
cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #64
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Slow down. No need to try and reinvent the wheel.

When my Jeep started running a bit warm last year, I ordered a new MOPAR water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, radiator cap.
While I was waiting for the parts, I took my good old brass 20 year old radiator to a shop and has them clean and repair it. I used all oem parts as they lasted 20 years!
Perfection! Remember, the factory designed these parts and tested them for hundreds of thousands of miles. Even at Death Valley in the summer.
High flow radiator? The thermostat will determine the flow anyway. The antifreeze needs to be in the radiator long enough to cool it.

Put the parts on it that were designed for it and you will have zero problems...
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #65
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've read as much of this as I can before I leave from work... The OP stated this YJ was recently purchased... Is the temp sender for the gauge at the back of the block with 1 purple wire going to it like the YJ? If so, have we verified it is actually overheating? I only ask because if the previous owner replaced the sender, and used one from autozone/advance, etc... then there is a VERY HIGH chance the sender is reading 30* (ish) hotter than actual temp... I had to buy my sender from the dealer, as soon as I did this, there was a 30* drop in highway running temp.

I spent an ungodly amount of money on the cooling system, just to find out 3 seperate temp senders from 3 seperate places were reading hot. Apparently there is a difference between xj and yj senders, despite what the autozone/advance part #'s say....

Just my 2 cents... I apologize is this is irrelevent or already covered.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #66
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I agree 100%. It is on the list. You always get the po mess ups.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #67
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227
I've read as much of this as I can before I leave from work... The OP stated this YJ was recently purchased... Is the temp sender for the gauge at the back of the block with 1 purple wire going to it like the YJ? If so, have we verified it is actually overheating? I only ask because if the previous owner replaced the sender, and used one from autozone/advance, etc... then there is a VERY HIGH chance the sender is reading 30* (ish) hotter than actual temp... I had to buy my sender from the dealer, as soon as I did this, there was a 30* drop in highway running temp. I spent an ungodly amount of money on the cooling system, just to find out 3 seperate temp senders from 3 seperate places were reading hot. Apparently there is a difference between xj and yj senders, despite what the autozone/advance part #'s say.... Just my 2 cents... I apologize is this is irrelevent or already covered.
Great info and I appreciate it but why would it only read hot like that sometimes? And only after parked?
It seems to be fine the rest of the time. We just drove it on the freeway for 45 minutes and it BARELY went over 210 going about 70-75ish.

I'm going to check the sensor with a multimeter on Monday regardless.
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #68
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

cgcarpenter,

Inquiring minds are wondering if you came to an end conclusion on this one?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #69
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject
cgcarpenter, Inquiring minds are wondering if you came to an end conclusion on this one?
Terribly sorry gentlemen very busy with school and work this last week and getting my jeep ready for a run tomorrow but will update as soon as this is done.
Unread 10-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #70
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

So by time I got the shroud in the weather has been pretty cool.
But it did make a little difference I won't be able to tell until it gets hot again.

It made a big enough difference that with a 180 tstat it stays about 190 on the streets(kinda low now I know lol) and my girlfriend says she can drive on the freeway at 75 with no problems now.

I'm assuming this weather is helping a lot but the shroud is helping too.
Is it enough? We'll see when it gets up to the mid 90s again.

Thanks a lot for the help guys... Never would have thought a fan shrouds would be so important to the cooling. I thought it was just there so you don't drop something in there or chop off a finger lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.