Overheating - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Overheating

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #31
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject

If you have a serpentine belt, you have a reverse rotation water pump.

If you have v-belts, you have a standard rotation water pump.
Same for fan clutch too?

cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #32
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcarpenter View Post
Same for fan clutch too?
Yup. Just replaced mine last weekend.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #33
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:

Yup. Just replaced mine last weekend.
Cool thanks
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #34
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Okay. So I replaced tstat, and clutch fan today. Checked to make sure the water pump is reverse rotation. It is indeed correct.
And flushed the radiator.
I can see the coolant moving through with the cap off.

It's was running at correct temp on the freeway and didn't jump to 240 as soon as I got off which is good.

BUT driving on the streets in stop and go traffic it would creep up to about 235 while stopped at stop lights and would drop 5-10 degrees until I hit the next light.

Question is. Would having no fan shroud really make it heat up this much?
Or are there any other suggestions?

Everything is new except the radiator.
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #35
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check the resistance on the sensor for the temp. Yes, slow speed is when the shroud makes a difference. You can look at doing the Taurus rad fan mod. As I mentioned before pressure test the coolant system. Replace the radiator cap.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #36
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
Check the resistance on the sensor for the temp. Yes, slow speed is when the shroud makes a difference. You can look at doing the Taurus rad fan mod. As I mentioned before pressure test the coolant system. Replace the radiator cap.
I did the radiator cap as well I forgot to mention.

Would running some of that flush fluids from autozone be a good idea?

Otherwise I'll try to get my hands on a fan shroud and go from there. It's not my jeep so I don't want to modify it to much.
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #37
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The fan and controller and fan is less then 100 but you shouldn't go there until you fix the problem at hand. Fan shoud and pressure test the system. If you have a meter you can check the sensor.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #38
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
The fan and controller and fan is less then 100 but you shouldn't go there until you fix the problem at hand. Fan shoud and pressure test the system. If you have a meter you can check the sensor.
Yeah I'll pull the sensor and bring it to my electrical class and try to find a shroud this weekend and possibly pressure test it on Friday.

Thanks for the assistance guys. Much appreciated.
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #39
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcarpenter View Post
Question is. Would having no fan shroud really make it heat up this much?
Yup, the fan is pulling air from the path of least résistance. Which is not necessary through your radiator.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #40
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

If a stock shroud is not handy there was someone who made a custom shroud from a plastic trash can. Just pick the right size area some rivets and spare aluminum to mount it.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #41
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

So how bad is it that when we turn the jeep off the temp will go to about 220 after just street driving or about 240 when shutting it off after a considerable amount of freeway driving?

I believe someone called it thermal flush earlier.
Is the anyway to to help/prevent this?
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #42
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Have you flushed the system yet? Have you tried cleaning your radiator?

I was having the same nightmare time as you, keeping the temps down, for almost a month after a trip to Drummond Island. I cleaned the outside of the radiator with Simple Green and a power washer and did a system flush and refill. Now I'm lucky to get my gauge up to 180, and I haven't had a shroud on my fan for almost a year. neither does my son's ZJ and he's never had an overheating problem.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #43
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Have you flushed the system yet? Have you tried cleaning your radiator? I was having the same nightmare time as you, keeping the temps down, for almost a month after a trip to Drummond Island. I cleaned the outside of the radiator with Simple Green and a power washer and did a system flush and refill. Now I'm lucky to get my gauge up to 180, and I haven't had a shroud on my fan for almost a year. neither does my son's ZJ and he's never had an overheating problem.
Yes I have. Temps stay down now unless traffic is very bad it'll creep up very slowly.

I'm talking about after I turn the jeep off it gets hot and I was just wondering how bad that could be.
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #44
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

After you turn it off, the hot coolant from the engine is flowing back into the radiator. As it is, IMHO, you're still high. You're getting good flow, you have a new t-stat and the proper water pump, you've flushed the system. Something is not cooling the coolant that is flowing. On the highway, or anything over 35mph, the air being drawn across the radiator is enough to keep the coolant cool. At this point, I'm really leaning into the radiator being the source of your problems.

Unread 09-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #45
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
After you turn it off, the hot coolant from the engine is flowing back into the radiator. As it is, IMHO, you're still high. You're getting good flow, you have a new t-stat and the proper water pump, you've flushed the system. Something is not cooling the coolant that is flowing. On the highway, or anything over 35mph, the air being drawn across the radiator is enough to keep the coolant cool. At this point, I'm really leaning into the radiator being the source of your problems.
That doesn't make sense. Why would the hot coolant keep flowing. It stops flowing when I shut it off and that's why the temps go up. It stays cool when driving. Just when I shut it off the temps jump.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.