Overheating - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Overheating

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I agree RP unless the fan clutch fails on. Then it impeads air flow as you increase speed.

Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

I agree with both of what you guys are saying but if the radiator was clogged it would still start to heat up on the freeway and slowly Creep up to over heat in stop and go city driving even if the fan clutch was working properly right?
cgcarpenter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #18
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcarpenter View Post
I agree with both of what you guys are saying but if the radiator was clogged it would still start to heat up on the freeway and slowly Creep up to over heat in stop and go city driving even if the fan clutch was working properly right?
Absolutely. That's what my problem was. I had mud in my fins from a Jeep Jamboree where we were b***s deep in a slough for over 200 yards. Because of the shroud and condenser, I couldn't properly clean the radiator and I couldn't get good air flow. I also think there was a blockage in the system, because after a good flushing, the temps came screaming down.

Put a T cleaning system on your heater core line and flush the system to see what that does. Just make sure you put it on the proper line, the PO of my rig put on a T, but put it on the wrong line. Just one more SMH from my lovely PO.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #19
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

OP, if you need a shroud i'd be happy to send you my old one for the cost of shipping.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject

Absolutely. That's what my problem was. I had mud in my fins from a Jeep Jamboree where we were b***s deep in a slough for over 200 yards. Because of the shroud and condenser, I couldn't properly clean the radiator and I couldn't get good air flow. I also think there was a blockage in the system, because after a good flushing, the temps came screaming down.

Put a T cleaning system on your heater core line and flush the system to see what that does. Just make sure you put it on the proper line, the PO of my rig put on a T, but put it on the wrong line. Just one more SMH from my lovely PO.
I mean the inside not the outside. The outside looks great. But the flow inside being slightly blocked.
I'm skeptical if flushing the whole system just because its 25 years old and who knows what other problems could come up. It doesn't leak now and I want to try and keep it that way.

And to check the rotation of the pump do I just check which way the fan is turning?
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #21
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion
OP, if you need a shroud i'd be happy to send you my old one for the cost of shipping.
If you could check shipping that would be great!
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #22
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I mean the inside not the outside. The outside looks great. But the flow inside being slightly blocked.
I'm skeptical if flushing the whole system just because its 25 years old and who knows what other problems could come up. It doesn't leak now and I want to try and keep it that way.

And to check the rotation of the pump do I just check which way the fan is turning?
No, the rotation of the pump is dependent upon the impeller blades on the inside of the pump. There's no way, that I know of, to determine rotation from the outside.

On the flushing side, it's not a "HIGH" pressure flush. You're hooking up a garden hose to the T, so you're running 30-50psi water through the system, it's not like you're hooking up a power washer to the system. :-)

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #23
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

There should be a big "R" stamped on the pump, but you can't always see if with it installed. Some manufacturers put it on the backside of the pump. Although the last one I put on mine had the "R" stamped on an impeller. Depending on where you bought the pump, they may be able to look it up in their system and see which one you got by part number. Easier to try that than pulling it off.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #24
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe
There should be a big "R" stamped on the pump, but you can't always see if with it installed. Some manufacturers put it on the backside of the pump. Although the last one I put on mine had the "R" stamped on an impeller. Depending on where you bought the pump, they may be able to look it up in their system and see which one you got by part number. Easier to try that than pulling it off.
It was installed before my girlfriend bought I'm just trying to fix it. I'll check to see if it has any numbers on the outside
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #25
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I remember seeing that R in the impeller of my son's ZJ when we replaced his water pump.

Unread 09-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #26
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Damn the only thing the I could see on the outside of the pump was it a gmb. It has a few numbers but I couldn't find them anywhere on line. I don't really want to take thing off but I may have too.

I'm thinking of changing the fan clutch cuz it looks old as hell and the flow in the radiator didnt seem very good. And might as well change the tstat.
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #27
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you're pulling the t-stat, fan and clutch off, just go ahead and pull off the pump and make sure you've got the right one on there. A new gasket is maybe $3.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #28
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe
If you're pulling the t-stat, fan and clutch off, just go ahead and pull off the pump and make sure you've got the right one on there. A new gasket is maybe $3.
Yeah I thought that same thing when I got done typing lol
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #29
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Somebody mentioned that the fan clutch rotation doesn't matter but they sell both standard rotation and reverse.

The jeep fan spins counter clockwise when looking from the front. Is that reverse rotation?
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #30
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Somebody mentioned that the fan clutch rotation doesn't matter but they sell both standard rotation and reverse.

The jeep fan spins counter clockwise when looking from the front. Is that reverse rotation?

If you have a serpentine belt, you have a reverse rotation water pump.

If you have v-belts, you have a standard rotation water pump.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.