over heatiing other thread did not help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > over heatiing other thread did not help

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
fino

over heatiing other thread did not help

I know there is a thread but it did not help. I have been working on cars for 30 years so I have some idea of what I am doing but this one has got me stumped. The jeep in question is a 91 4 cyl. all stock. After about 10 minutes of driving it red lines. I have replaced the water pump it was just over a year old but changed it anyway (was under warenty). I took both hoses off at the radiator and hooked a water hose to the top hose and ran water though until it was clear water runing through. Then I hooked the water to the bottom and ran water through to make sure there was unobstructed flow. I remove the therostat, the frist thing i did thinking it was not opening, put it in a pan of the stove it is opening all the way. when i take the top hose off and fill the radiator and engine with water and turn the the jeep on the water comes out of the top hose in a surge flow not a constant. Thought maybe then the radiator was bad. so i filled a bucket with water took the bottom hose off put in the bucket still surge flow with by passing the radiator. bottom line it is still getting hot. any idias

fino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Still could be a major part of the radiator is clogged. When its running, all you have to do is put your hands on the radiator fins, if you feel cooler spots, and then say warmer spots in random areas, then its clogged. I have a 3 row all steel core I managed to clog up with stupid stop leak. It looked ok if you opened the cap for a visual..open it up...and gobs of black tar like substance ws clogging it up.
Also are you sure its not the temp sensor is not bad?
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are you running a fan shroud?
Really important especially with the 4 cylinders because the radiator is so far from the fan.
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Is your lower hose collapsing?
i forgot the hose spring once and got the same kinda thing going on.

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"

"I love cats, I just can't eat a whole one!"
shaggyjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
fino

yes I am running with the shroud the hoses are not colapsing I will check the radiator to see if spots are cooler than others, did not think of that.
fino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
planedog
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have had two different cars in the past that had so much corrosion in the water jacket of the engine that they would run hot, but neither one ever overheated. One of them would actually boil the water in the jacket after I turned the engine off and I tried everything to fix it. I replaced the radiator, pump, thermostat, etc.

Anyway, the way I fixed them was with muratic acid. If you're interested I will post the procedure.
planedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Nibbley15
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Had the same EXACT thing happen to me; it was a blown head gasket between cyl #4 and the water jacket. I wasn't getting any water in the oil, and hardly any noticable white smoke on startup. I was loosing about 1/4 gallon every week to two weeks. What makes me say the head gasket is when you said about the backflow out the radiator.
Nibbley15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

head gasket or cracked head/block?
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.