Output shaft oil seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Output shaft oil seal

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-22-2003, 05:12 PM   #1
Slim
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Output shaft oil seal

Does anybody know the part number for the output shaft oil seal out of the back of the transfer case. I have gone to the parts house twice and gotten the wrong thing. I have a 94 wrangler with a 6 cylinder motor. Thanks

[CENTER]Lift,Lockers,& 36's.[/CENTER]
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2003, 06:45 PM   #2
BamaJeeper

You will have to get the model and serial# from the tag on the t-case and go to the dealership. There are different seals for some years of YJ's.
Unread 03-23-2003, 01:06 AM   #3
wiff

this is going to sound messed up but i needed to replace mine and i had the same prob. 3 trips to the parts store and everytime i was given the wrong seal. while standing in the garage scratching my head i looked down at a 4sp tranny i have for my truck that i had just replaced the output shaft seal in. the tranny is out of a 68 or 69 roadrunner its a an 833 4spd the seal looked like the one i pulled of the transfer case so i pulled it out of the tranny to compare, they were identical so i put it in the T-case it fit and sealed fine..go figure, its also the same on a 82 dodge pu with an A-833 tranny(same tranny diferent gearing) hope this helps
wiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2003, 12:08 PM   #4
jeepers92
2004 TJ Wrangler 

np 231 t.c. output seals

I have the same problem as most. Leaky seals hard to stop.

The driveshaft yoke apparently wears enough to keep seals from
sealing. I had my local auto parts store order all seals that it showed for the 231. The one that actually fit the case, leaked because the seal was to large (i.d.). I took the one for the later 231 case (smaller inside dia) and with 80 grit wet/driy paper, sanded the metal part of the seal till it fit in (with the help of a small sledge hammer). It still leaked a little, but after a couple of days seemed to have sealed up. It would be nice is some seal manuf would make a seal for these cases with a smaller dia inside. If you have a set of calipers and can measure your yoke and inside of T.C., a good auto parts store can help.
jeepers92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2003, 09:20 AM   #5
93 Blue Demon YJ

Had the same problem, bought 2, didnt work...fluid came out everywhere while driving....bought one from quadratec, and it was the right one.
Unread 03-26-2003, 01:38 PM   #6
Slim
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I finally got the seal I needed I had to go to a local crysler dealer and get it but it worked great. I just don't get how every parts store in town could have the wrong parts on file, its crazy.

[CENTER]Lift,Lockers,& 36's.[/CENTER]
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.