Output shaft oil seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Output shaft oil seal

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-22-2003, 04:12 PM   #1
Slim
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Output shaft oil seal

Does anybody know the part number for the output shaft oil seal out of the back of the transfer case. I have gone to the parts house twice and gotten the wrong thing. I have a 94 wrangler with a 6 cylinder motor. Thanks

[CENTER]Lift,Lockers,& 36's.[/CENTER]
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2003, 05:45 PM   #2
BamaJeeper

You will have to get the model and serial# from the tag on the t-case and go to the dealership. There are different seals for some years of YJ's.
Unread 03-23-2003, 12:06 AM   #3
wiff

this is going to sound messed up but i needed to replace mine and i had the same prob. 3 trips to the parts store and everytime i was given the wrong seal. while standing in the garage scratching my head i looked down at a 4sp tranny i have for my truck that i had just replaced the output shaft seal in. the tranny is out of a 68 or 69 roadrunner its a an 833 4spd the seal looked like the one i pulled of the transfer case so i pulled it out of the tranny to compare, they were identical so i put it in the T-case it fit and sealed fine..go figure, its also the same on a 82 dodge pu with an A-833 tranny(same tranny diferent gearing) hope this helps
wiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 11:08 AM   #4
jeepers92
2004 TJ Wrangler 

np 231 t.c. output seals

I have the same problem as most. Leaky seals hard to stop.

The driveshaft yoke apparently wears enough to keep seals from
sealing. I had my local auto parts store order all seals that it showed for the 231. The one that actually fit the case, leaked because the seal was to large (i.d.). I took the one for the later 231 case (smaller inside dia) and with 80 grit wet/driy paper, sanded the metal part of the seal till it fit in (with the help of a small sledge hammer). It still leaked a little, but after a couple of days seemed to have sealed up. It would be nice is some seal manuf would make a seal for these cases with a smaller dia inside. If you have a set of calipers and can measure your yoke and inside of T.C., a good auto parts store can help.
jeepers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2003, 08:20 AM   #5
93 Blue Demon YJ

Had the same problem, bought 2, didnt work...fluid came out everywhere while driving....bought one from quadratec, and it was the right one.
Unread 03-26-2003, 12:38 PM   #6
Slim
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I finally got the seal I needed I had to go to a local crysler dealer and get it but it worked great. I just don't get how every parts store in town could have the wrong parts on file, its crazy.

[CENTER]Lift,Lockers,& 36's.[/CENTER]
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.