Outboarding rear shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Outboarding rear shocks

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 02-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Outboarding rear shocks

Been thinking about outboarding my rear shocks. Saw this article.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspensio...earshock-1.htm
This is on a TJ, little concerned on a YJ there would be alot more stress in this area because of the leaf springs.
Whats everyones opinion?

Unread 02-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

since the way leafs mount to the frame verses coils. i would be a little worried that the frame might be weekened to much. is there room with out notching the frame?
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Whats your axle width, 60" or fullsize?
shaggyjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That deep of frame notch might give you some trouble with all the unsprung weight from your 36's.
shaggyjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

exactly why do you need to out board the shocks? there are other ways to get travel that aren't as likely to compromise your frame's integrity

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

With full widths you can get away with outboarding your rear shocks without sinking the mounts into the frame.
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 06:19 AM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjcrawlr View Post
Yjcrawlr, your rig is just way cool, in too many ways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The rear axle is right around 60".
It is not so much that I need more wheel travel just more room.
I am in the process of doing the XJ spring stretch. With the fuel cell that I sank down into the tub. I am not sure I will have enough room to run the shocks inside of the tub.
Unread 02-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Max. I work on my jeep alot, my wife has horses so that allows me lots of time to work in the garage. We have a metal fab shop at my work so I've spent a few hours there too. TSE Jeepers you probably won't have room unless your wheels have alot of offset. I first used the ford style mounts, like in the link above, and my shocks rubbed on the tires a little at full flex. I eventually broke one of the welds on the trail, so I redesigned the mounts and moved them a little closer to the frame. Now everything clears but if change wheels I may have to redesign my shocks and sink them into the frame. The mounts I used are different ford superduty ones. I have seen one that the guy used more style shock hoops on the rear and sunk a piece of channel into the frame so The shocks would clear.
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.