Original wiring and 350 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Original wiring and 350 swap

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 06-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
madjeep1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Original wiring and 350 swap

I have a 1988 Yj and I am dropping in a 1995 TBI 350. I decided to go with a "Painless" wiring harness. I have all the sensors and computer hooked up. The only things left is connect the 12V and ignition for the computer. My problem is the original wiring had a small silver solenoid on the firewall. It has different "posts" labeled battery,ignition, sol, egr,and ground. There is about five wires coming from the fuse block going to the battery "post" and there was a wire coming from the battery to that solenoid. Now that the GM stater has its on solenoid and I am not using EGR can I do away with that firewall solenoid. From what I am thinking is I can use a relay because all I need is constant 12V and swicthed ingition power. Am I correct?
Also what needs to be done about wiring up the Alternator? Do I need to run a cable from the battery to the starter and the back of the alternator and one to power the fuse block?
Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance

madjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjeep1 View Post
I have a 1988 Yj and I am dropping in a 1995 TBI 350. I decided to go with a "Painless" wiring harness. I have all the sensors and computer hooked up. The only things left is connect the 12V and ignition for the computer. My problem is the original wiring had a small silver solenoid on the firewall. It has different "posts" labeled battery,ignition, sol, egr,and ground. There is about five wires coming from the fuse block going to the battery "post" and there was a wire coming from the battery to that solenoid. Now that the GM stater has its on solenoid and I am not using EGR can I do away with that firewall solenoid. From what I am thinking is I can use a relay because all I need is constant 12V and swicthed ingition power. Am I correct?
Also what needs to be done about wiring up the Alternator? Do I need to run a cable from the battery to the starter and the back of the alternator and one to power the fuse block?
Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance
I would find out how the 1995 SBC was wired up in the car/truck it came from. Then you need to mimic that wiring in the YJ.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Things like fuel pump replacement needs to be addressed also. I suggest doing a search on the 'net for answers and check out this link also here in JF. There may be other here in JF also.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...derway-324622/

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
madjeep1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Before the swap I had the 258 with the "junkyard" tbi on it. So I already had a fuel pump installed that would work with the 350.
I just wanted to know if I could do away with the solenoid and how to wire the Alternator up? Has anyone done this before and what did they do? Can I just use a relay for the 12V and switched ignition power. Thanks
madjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
jeeptim
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes. do away with the solenoid on the firewall. The battery cable should go from the battery to the large stud on the starter, then relay a smaller gauge wire (8-10 ga) from the large post on the starter to the stud on the back of the alternator. You will want to extend the small wire that was on the solenoid on the firewall (ignition) and run it to the small stud on the back of the new starter. (unless your new wiring harness included that wire) You can run another 10 ga from the back of the alternator to the fuse block. You will want the computer to be on the igniton switch source. good Luck.

On a side note do not forget to run the battery ground straight to the block, then run a ground strap from the block to the frame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.