Optima battery - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Optima battery

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well one thing worth knowing is if you have a winch hooked up to a red top the warranty is gone instantly. They don't cover red tops if you run a winch period! Only the yellow tops are covered under warranty for winching.

That being said their quality has gone down. But my current one is still working well for me

Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #17
OptimaBill

HI zte87,
As mentioned before, if you are going to use a winch on your vehicle, I would suggest the YellowTop. It is a dual purpose design that will start the vehicle and also works fine for deep-cycle applications.
Xpress is correct regarding the volume of our batteries in use today, versus other brands and that does lead to a lot of conversations about them. Here is a link to just that and reviews about different batteries on this site. As 92 Green YJ mentioned, RedTops are not designed or warrantied for deep-cylcle use, including winches. YellowTops don't need to be drained and recharged periodically to maintain health and the quality of our batteries has never been better. In fact, keeping batteries fully-charged is really the key to extending battery life, regardless of the battery you are using.

On a personal note, a friend of mine had a YellowTop that was so deeply-discharged this week, it did not register with a volt meter. He tried charging it with his shop charger and just wasn't getting anything. I brought it to my shop, placed it on a low amperage microprocessor charger and within 24 hours the battery has 13.13 volts in it. I just checked the battery this morning.
There is a lot of misinformation out there about recharging our batteries but the truth is, if you will follow our instructions on recharging it is amazing how many batteries are recoverable. Many of the “bad” batteries returned to us now are just deeply-discharged and work fine, once recharged.
If I can answer any other questions about our products, feel free to pm or post here,
Thanks,
Bill Howell
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

Last edited by OptimaBill; 10-23-2011 at 01:30 PM..
OptimaBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #18
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting, Bill. There are a lot of guys running optima's in their jeeps and could use some help answering questions on this board. Would you go ahead and sign up as a vendor so we can have some alternate ways of contacting you?

Thanks!
Unread 10-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #19
JakeMurray24
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a blue top in my jeep, its worked amazing for 3 years, no problems
1989 YJ Candy apple Green, D30front, 8.8rear, 4:10's, Lock right front, 4"RC springs rear, 3.5"BDS springs front, SYE with double cardian shaft custom made, home made rockers, 33" goodyear mtr/k, smittybilt stinger, home made light bar, marine stereo, cobreau baja jp seats
JakeMurray24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #20
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaBill View Post
There is a lot of misinformation out there about recharging our batteries but the truth is, if you will follow our instructions on recharging it is amazing how many batteries are recoverable. Many of the “bad” batteries returned to us now are just deeply-discharged and work fine, once recharged.
Ive had similar experiences with many batteries which appeared to be dead so absolutely believe this to be true. Simply finding a way to get some current running through them got them working again in a few hours. That being said I have a Diehard P4, haven't had a single issue with it, holds its charge great, and I love the dual terminals. I have no experience with Optima's other than internet banter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.