Opinions on this Wrangler please.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Opinions on this Wrangler please....

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-02-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Opinions on this Wrangler please....

Lookin at this for a buddy of mine. I am thinking based on what I can see in the pics and the description about 2500 for it if it all checks out.... any opinions are welcome:

Jeep Wrangler '88

jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

I6 very nice. That's a good condition jeep from the pic, looks to have been kept garaged/covered. 127k miles is really good for an 88', prob not driven that much. Hopefully he will take 2500, but I would not if it were mine, I would try to get at least 3000 out of it. hehe

I got family in Church Hill, not far from ya in Kingsport.
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloan74 View Post
He has it priced good though, because it's an I6. That's a good condition jeep from the pic. 127k miles is really good for an 88'. Hopefully he will take 2500, but I would not if it were mine. hehe
I am not looking to shank the guy, I believe in paying fair price because I would not want to be on that end of the stick. If the frame is good and mileage is real, working odometer, then 3k isnt out of my buddies ball park. I just want to make sure we are fair and not paying more than needed. I only gave 4200 for mine with a list of extras a mile long including rebuilt motor and new paint so 3950 in comaprison to what I bought for 4200 is a little steep in my opinion. I think 2500-3k is doable though.
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yeah definitely, offer him 3k. He will get other offers on that jeep I bet.
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Around here that Jeep would sell for his asking price.
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I6 very nice. That's a good condition jeep from the pic, looks to have been kept garaged/covered. 127k miles is really good for an 88', prob not driven that much. Hopefully he will take 2500, but I would not if it were mine, I would try to get at least 3000 out of it. hehe

I got family in Church Hill, not far from ya in Kingsport.
I actually live in Church Hill too sloan. I always say Kingsport just because it is bigger. Where is your family at in CH?
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

Their last name is Smiley. Depending on your age, you might know their son Bobby, played Basketball there in HS. He is in his early 40's I think so you might not know him. He has 2 younger sisters, Tracy and Shannon (Jimmy Whalen ring a bell?) - Bobby works for Eastman and Shannon works for TVA (or she did). They are my cousins.

Your about my age (I am 35), they are all older than me - so you might of not known them from HS.

My mom's parents use to live their as well, her dad retired from TVA and ran a local gunsmith setup out of his garage/shop, last name was English. He passed few decades ago. But his gunsmithing was very cool stuff....

My uncle there is restoring a 1950's Ford truck....man it's gonna be a pimp ride....he has some other nice rides in his barn. I am trying to talk him into an old CJ.....hehe

I love it up there, East Tenn Valley is some of the most beautiful country/land in the SE I think.

Last edited by sloan74; 06-02-2010 at 08:43 AM..
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Their last name is Smiley. Depending on your age, you might know their son Bobby, played Basketball there in HS. He is in his early 40's I think. He has 2 sisters, Tracy and Shannon - Bobby works for Eastman and Shannon works for TVA (or she did).

My mom's parents use to live their as well, her dad retired from TVA and ran a local gunsmith setup out of his garage/shop, last name was English. He passed few decades ago. But his gunsmithing was cool stuff....
Dont know them right off. I am in my early 30s so that may have been before my time. I also grew up in Colonial Heights and moved down here when I took a job near Morristown a long time ago. I now work in Kingsport so actually looking to move back up this way. You are right though, I have a buddy who is a gunsmith and it is really cool stuff. Wish I knew it as a trade.
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
xdgt03
1994 YJ Wrangler 

price raised to $3950 now. still seems pretty good.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
2.5L
31x10.5x15 BFG MT
xdgt03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdgt03 View Post
price raised to $3950 now. still seems pretty good.
Went and looked at it last night and it is a solid running Jeep. He would not take less than 3700 for it and my buddy said no on all accounts. I told him that is still well worth it after driving it but he was not interested. If anyone is interested. 3700 will bring it to the house!
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

I posted it on my cousin's Facebook....lol
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I might shoot this to my cousin....lol
Cosmetic Issues:

Some light rust
Paint faded and peeling on the hood and some surface rust on the hood - Neither of these show up in the pictures.

Mechanical Issues:

Wheels rub fender flares when turned deep, but they are 33x12.50s on 15x8 steelies.
A TINY leak right below the transmission bellhousing, it is a BA10 tranny

Frame issues:

It has had cancer on the rear passenger side frame horn which they repaired, BUT this is one of the most solid frames I have seen on that year model around here in a long time. The repair is not done to my standards but it will serve the purpose.

Motor and Carb:

Remanned carb which runs well. The Jeep's motor is strong running and will get up and move with little to no hesitation from the carb.

4 wheel drive:

Transfers easily into and out of 4HI and 4LO. Climbs well.

All in all a good running Jeep. Well worth the money IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.