Opinions of Rancho 1.5" leaf springs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Opinions of Rancho 1.5" leaf springs?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Jeep JK Wrangler NEW Heat Reducing Performance Vented HoodARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 01-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
squibload
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Opinions of Rancho 1.5" leaf springs?

I don't think that I've ever heard ANYTHING about Rancho's YJ 1.5" lift kit. Have you?

My YJ is sitting on the original springs, and they need an upgrade. Since it's a street driver and a plow vehicle, I'm not too worried about flexibility. I run 215/75R15 BFG's (little guys!!!)

I have $300 in Q-tec gift cards, so I am naturally tempted to try this kit out...
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16031_009.htm

...but since we all KNOW that "you get what you pay for", I have to wonder...

I don't want any opinions on BDS / OME / RC / etc. springs. They're great, I know. How are Rancho 1.5" lift leaf springs?

squibload is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

We have 2.5" Rancho springs on our truck. I know it's a bit taller than you're talking about, but we like 'em. Went in easy enough (once we got the old ones out). New shocks helped a ton as well.
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
squibload
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
Went in easy enough (once we got the old ones out).
Thanks for the info...yeah, getting the old ones out will be lots of fun, I'd guess...

Anyone else have any experience with Rancho springs?
Unread 01-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My Rancho 2.5 springs have been on the Jeep since 1995. They still work great and have had very little sag over the years. My only advice is not to use Rancho 5000 shocks. They are way to stiff and ride very rough. I now use Skyjacker Hydro shocks and the ride is much better.
Unread 01-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squibload View Post
Anyone else have any experience with Rancho springs?
Yep, but most of it is very old experiance.

Way back when, I think 2-3 previous owners ago, I worked at Rancho in their Suspension Products Division (although I did many other jobs while employed there). This was when Keith, Gene & their Father Clarence Shook owned Rancho, while it was still in Long Beach, CA. Old man Ding, and the Martinez brothers (Avery & Curtis) still worked their if that tells you anything about how long ago it was.

I had my fingers in the development of suspension products with everything from Jeep, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, International, Scout, Toyota, Datsun/Nissan, to Mazda, heck even some one-off race stuff for various drivers we sponsored.

Our leafs were designed here, by us - but were manufactured in Japan. Our shocks were built by Gabriel of Canada. Our ubolts were made locally in the Los Angeles area (actually Paramount IIRC) by a company called M-West Mfrg.

We were the premier offroad suspension builder back in the day. We were #1 in the world...till hands started changing & things went in different directions.

Once that started to happen - I decided to jump ship after getting a call at home from Mickey Thompson [R.I.P.]. I quit Rancho and began working for Mickey Thompson, in his suspension products facility in Fountain Valley, CA. MUCH better place to work for. Ahh, those were the days.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

1.5" rancho springs were there first springs i ever put on my jeep they work well and rode way better than worn out stockers. My old springs are currently on my moms jeep running 30" bfg at's and probably has a good 80,000 plus miles on em with only a little from sag. They should fit your needs as a good stock replacement.
Unread 01-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yep, but most of it is very old experiance.

Way back when, I think 2-3 previous owners ago, I worked at Rancho in their Suspension Products Division (although I did many other jobs while employed there). This was when Keith, Gene & their Father Clarence Shook owned Rancho, while it was still in Long Beach, CA. Old man Ding, and the Martinez brothers (Avery & Curtis) still worked their if that tells you anything about how long ago it was.

I had my fingers in the development of suspension products with everything from Jeep, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, International, Scout, Toyota, Datsun/Nissan, to Mazda, heck even some one-off race stuff for various drivers we sponsored.

Our leafs were designed here, by us - but were manufactured in Japan. Our shocks were built by Gabriel of Canada. Our ubolts were made locally in the Los Angeles area (actually Paramount IIRC) by a company called M-West Mfrg.

We were the premier offroad suspension builder back in the day. We were #1 in the world...till hands started changing & things went in different directions.

Once that started to happen - I decided to jump ship after getting a call at home from Mickey Thompson [R.I.P.]. I quit Rancho and began working for Mickey Thompson, in his suspension products facility in Fountain Valley, CA. MUCH better place to work for. Ahh, those were the days.
that is so cool
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah - kinda gives away my old age.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
Brads_nky_yj

Havent you worked everywhere Joe lol
Unread 01-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
squibload
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That is really cool, Joe...and thanks for the background.

Anyone else with other opinions on Rancho's current spring quality? (Just a few more pushes and I'll be taking a ride over to West Chester to make a pick-up!!)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.