One turns forward, the other back - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > One turns forward, the other back

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 03-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

One turns forward, the other back

I'll be pulling the cover off my front differential hopefully today, but what do I have to look forward to? My front end is messed up, and while I was dragging the jeep, I noticed that one wheel rolled forward, the other back. Not a good thing. Any ideas what kind of mess I'm in store for?

crosschecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
drroadie

If you have both wheels off the ground, with an open diff. when you spin one wheel the other will go the other direction. I don't know what you mean by "dragging" the Jeep.
Unread 03-13-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroadie
If you have both wheels off the ground, with an open diff. when you spin one wheel the other will go the other direction. I don't know what you mean by "dragging" the Jeep.
Dragging means pulling the jeep with a chain.
Unread 03-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

I am asuming that this is on a stock axle, correct? You pulled it out or moved it with a chain and the front axle was rotating in oposite directions. Was the T-case engaged for 4wd at the time? Does the jeep currently drive, if so, any noise from the front end?

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescuer265
I am asuming that this is on a stock axle, correct? You pulled it out or moved it with a chain and the front axle was rotating in oposite directions. Was the T-case engaged for 4wd at the time? Does the jeep currently drive, if so, any noise from the front end?
Stock axle, the transfer case was not engaged but the vacuum motor was engaged. Now that the axle is not engaged, the vehicle will move, but not too far.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.