post #1 of Old 03-13-2007, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

One turns forward, the other back

I'll be pulling the cover off my front differential hopefully today, but what do I have to look forward to? My front end is messed up, and while I was dragging the jeep, I noticed that one wheel rolled forward, the other back. Not a good thing. Any ideas what kind of mess I'm in store for?

post #2 of Old 03-13-2007, 09:19 AM
drroadie

If you have both wheels off the ground, with an open diff. when you spin one wheel the other will go the other direction. I don't know what you mean by "dragging" the Jeep.

'93 yj, DD, Very Red, 1.5" shackles, 8k winch, 4.0I, ax15 K&N filter, T/B spacer, Flowmaster catback, CB, Electronic Compass, Altemeter,,,,,more to come.
post #3 of Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroadie
If you have both wheels off the ground, with an open diff. when you spin one wheel the other will go the other direction. I don't know what you mean by "dragging" the Jeep.
Dragging means pulling the jeep with a chain.
post #4 of Old 03-13-2007, 10:11 AM
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

I am asuming that this is on a stock axle, correct? You pulled it out or moved it with a chain and the front axle was rotating in oposite directions. Was the T-case engaged for 4wd at the time? Does the jeep currently drive, if so, any noise from the front end?

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
post #5 of Old 03-13-2007, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescuer265
I am asuming that this is on a stock axle, correct? You pulled it out or moved it with a chain and the front axle was rotating in oposite directions. Was the T-case engaged for 4wd at the time? Does the jeep currently drive, if so, any noise from the front end?
Stock axle, the transfer case was not engaged but the vacuum motor was engaged. Now that the axle is not engaged, the vehicle will move, but not too far.