ONE MORE TIME PLEASE! tiresize/axle ratio?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ONE MORE TIME PLEASE! tiresize/axle ratio??

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 06-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
lincolnmatthews
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ONE MORE TIME PLEASE! tiresize/axle ratio??

I know this has been covered a million times, but wanted to check with you guys, so many knowledgeable guys here! I have an 87 that is getting a BDS 2" lift going with 31" tires. I am thinking about going with a 3.73 gears is this going to be ok with my tires?, or should I go with 4.10's?. I thought with my stock axles that I couldn"t go with more than 3.73's?. Then I want to go with some kind of a front locker only, I know the about the axle limitations with these years. What would you guys recommend?, am I right in putting a locker up front?. I should note I have the manual trans with the 6 banger! Which locker is more trouble free? I dont think I want air or electric, how about the one that uses the cable style?? Sorry about all the questions, maybe this will finally put this issue to rest? Thanks for any help

lincolnmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Regearign is expensive. It wold be cheaper to find some 4.10 axles from a 4 banger YJ with the AX5.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You shouldn't need to re gear with those. I'm on 30's and I'm fine. And you're right about the locker in the front.
Unread 06-05-2011, 03:50 AM   #4
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
Regearign is expensive. It wold be cheaper to find some 4.10 axles from a 4 banger YJ with the AX5.
I would go this route as well if you wanted lower gears. I picked up a set for $100 on ebay a few years back.
92XJT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I ran 32's with 3.07's and it was fine...sluggish...but fine.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

You're asking the right questions, so no apologies needed

1) You've got 3.07's in a 4.2/Manual combo. I drove mine with 33's and it was okay, although 5th gear was only good above 60mph and cool weather (no joke). If you're going to swap axles, get the 4.10's. You can live with a few more RPM's on the highway for the better ratios for around town. The 4.2 is a bit of a dog with it's amazing 120hp so you want to keep it geared high anyway.

2) Lockers are completely a personal decision. Auto 'lunchbox' lockers are reasonably priced and with the vacuum disconnect you won't suffer on the street. I've not seen a cable-type locker. Are you thinking about the cable disconnnect systems (also called "posi-lock")? These aren't lockers, they're cable driven replacements for the trouble-prone vacuum disconnect system. ARB is an air locker, and I've seen electric lockers too (can't think of name).

Swapping a D35 back into your Jeep is very simple, but you're missing an opertunity to get a much stronger axle for just a little more money. Search for "Ford 8.8 YJ swap"... there's hundreds of examples. The Ford 8.8 can be found in 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10 ratios, and many came with limited slip diffs, factory! Not as good as a true locker but way better than open and easier on the street! It's not a bolt-in, but read about it and make your own decisions.

Personally, I've found a D30 with 4.10's for my front, and will get a disc-brake equipped, Ford 8.8 shortly with 4.10's too. This is for my 4L Auto YJ running 35" tires.

EDIT; I just realized I didn't mention I had a 4.0 head swap too. I did not drive it with the stock head as it was cracked, a 4.0 swap was a no brainer.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noltz
You're asking the right questions, so no apologies needed

1) You've got 3.07's in a 4.2/Manual combo. I drove mine with 33's and it was okay, although 5th gear was only good above 60mph and cool weather (no joke). If you're going to swap axles, get the 4.10's. You can live with a few more RPM's on the highway for the better ratios for around town. The 4.2 is a bit of a dog with it's amazing 120hp so you want to keep it geared high anyway.

2) Lockers are completely a personal decision. Auto 'lunchbox' lockers are reasonably priced and with the vacuum disconnect you won't suffer on the street. I've not seen a cable-type locker. Are you thinking about the cable disconnnect systems (also called "posi-lock")? These aren't lockers, they're cable driven replacements for the trouble-prone vacuum disconnect system. ARB is an air locker, and I've seen electric lockers too (can't think of name).

Swapping a D35 back into your Jeep is very simple, but you're missing an opertunity to get a much stronger axle for just a little more money. Search for "Ford 8.8 YJ swap"... there's hundreds of examples. The Ford 8.8 can be found in 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10 ratios, and many came with limited slip diffs, factory! Not as good as a true locker but way better than open and easier on the street! It's not a bolt-in, but read about it and make your own decisions.

Personally, I've found a D30 with 4.10's for my front, and will get a disc-brake equipped, Ford 8.8 shortly with 4.10's too. This is for my 4L Auto YJ running 35" tires.

EDIT; I just realized I didn't mention I had a 4.0 head swap too. I did not drive it with the stock head as it was cracked, a 4.0 swap was a no brainer.
Ox lockers are cable actuated.

The 4.10's would be good. And if you've got the extra cash and can weld then get the 8.8.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.