one inch riser motor mounts after suspension lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > one inch riser motor mounts after suspension lift?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 05-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
JOExFROMxNY
1988 YJ Wrangler 

one inch riser motor mounts after suspension lift?

My '88 YJ has a 4" RC suspension lift from the prior owner. My motor mounts are shot, and i am looking at replacements. Would i benefit from these lifted ones or should i just use the stock replacements. My transfer case is already hitting (in fact resting on) my lowered skidplate. Do i have to get support under the motor if i only remove one at a time?

cimg3092-medium-.jpg   cimg3099-medium-.jpg   cimg3073-medium-.jpg   cimg3077-medium-.jpg  
JOExFROMxNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your trans mount has to be shot. Even with my 1" mml and transfer case drop I never had my transfercase hit the skid. Get a new poly trans mount. As far as engine mounts you can maybe squeeze a 1"mml in with stock body mounts but you really need a 1" BL to keep some firewall clearance..
Unread 05-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
Your trans mount has to be shot. Even with my 1" mml and transfer case drop I never had my transfercase hit the skid. Get a new poly trans mount. As far as engine mounts you can maybe squeeze a 1"mml in with stock body mounts but you really need a 1" BL to keep some firewall clearance..
Check this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...plate-1022475/

In short, the clocking on his tcase is not standard.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I thought I saw that pic before! Thanks Joe. I'd get that clocked up and off that skid then. A MML will make it even worse.
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOExFROMxNY View Post
My motor mounts are shot, and i am looking at replacements. Would i benefit from these lifted ones or should i just use the stock replacements.
If you are thinking that raising the engine will help with the tcase rubbing issue - wrong. You'll make it worse.

Take a second & think about it.

Your engine is set in place by it's motor mounts & the tranny has its mount (yours is dropped).

Since the tcase is past the tranny, the tcase will tend to get lower if you raise the engine up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOExFROMxNY View Post
Do i have to get support under the motor if i only remove one at a time?
Yes, you should support the motor with a floorjack (or something similar) while replacing the motor mounts. I like using a block of wood under the oil pan. And yes, replace one side at a time but loosen all the bolts (do not remove all at once) so there's some wiggle room.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.