OME Lift? What's the risk? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OME Lift? What's the risk?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 10-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ill go ahead and say what's on everyone elses mind. Why not go a little more and get some 33's you wont be disapointed.

[FONT="Arial"]SkyJacker 4" lift, 32" BFG M/T's, Smittybilt Rocker guards, XRC Front bumper, XRC 8 Winch and bikini top, KC Fogs and Warn Driving lights, M.O.R.E. 5/8" Boom Shackles, Rugged Ridge HD Steering, Rhino Lined, SkyJacker Hydro Shocks and Steering Stablizer, Bestop Seats, MCE Front Fenders [/FONT]
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #17
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloppyJoseph View Post
Ill go ahead and say what's on everyone elses mind. Why not go a little more and get some 33's you wont be disapointed.
Thats why I did the OME lift and then daystar shackles. I'm waiting on my KOs to wear out and then I'll step up to 33s. However before I can do that I may be rebuilding the engine and 33s will have to have a regear to at least 4.10 just to keep the gas milage respectable.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
Thats why I did the OME lift and then daystar shackles. I'm waiting on my KOs to wear out and then I'll step up to 33s. However before I can do that I may be rebuilding the engine and 33s will have to have a regear to at least 4.10 just to keep the gas milage respectable.
I run 33 TSL on a 4.2 with 3.07...

it does fine, just no more 4th or 5th gear, around town it is good, and highway it will hit 60mph whih for a lifted YJ is plenty fast enough

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #19
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbie View Post
Do people remove the sway bar and/or track bar on a daily driver jeep? I am not as concerned with "maintaining stock feel" as I am with "maintaining a safe and comfortable (as comfortable as a YJ can be) ride on the road". From what I've heard, the OME lift can actually improve both on and off road handling and drivability.

My current plan is a 2.5" OME HD lift, 31" BFG MTs, and a sway bar disconnect kit, which I would only disconnect when wheeling. Id like to avoid an SYE at this time, and utilize the TC drop if necessary.

I understand what a sway bar does, and how its removal enhances articulation. I am less clear on what a track bar does, and how a jeep handles without it. Anyone care to tackle that question? I'll do a search now too...

EDIT: Looks like Zerogravity answered my trackbar / sway bar question in January of this year, thanks! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...l-pics-953630/
The sway bar serves much more of a purpose for the 2.5 emu springs on street/highway driving. It is my belief that it is safer to have it on in those conditions with these particular springs. The track bars..I might think for of them but they really do not arch evenly with articulation, it is defect in design. They will hold the axle tight in position, but at a major cost.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #20
Bubbie
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Interesting... So I thuroughly understand Sway Bars - is there a "reccomended" quick discconnect kit (and reconnect)?

What is the sacrifice of removing the track bar?

RE: 33's... I knew this was going to happen! I don't want a body lift. I don't want to mess with driveline angles (more than I have to). I will not cut fenders, don't want to replace the OE flares, or do I... This is an expensive hobby... Maybe I'd do 32" MTs, with a 5/8" shackle or something. The reality is, my 255/70R15 MTs have gotten me through every obstacle I've attempted. That being said, I do have an '89 5 speed 4 cylinder, so I have 4.10 gearing right?

Just don't see the "need" for 33s (I know, using the word "need" on the forums is suspect at best). Plus, I want to be able to get to my wheeling sites, which involves some highway time...
Unread 10-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #21
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
I run 33 TSL on a 4.2 with 3.07...

it does fine, just no more 4th or 5th gear, around town it is good, and highway it will hit 60mph whih for a lifted YJ is plenty fast enough
Not around here it isn't. If you get on I-85 or I -485 and can only do 60mph you will end up someone's hood ornament. If I can't get to at least 70 its just not safe to drive on the interstate.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #22
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
Not around here it isn't. If you get on I-85 or I -485 and can only do 60mph you will end up someone's hood ornament. If I can't get to at least 70 its just not safe to drive on the interstate.
I live in the mountains and I have 3.07's and 32" bfg mt's. I get along okay. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

[FONT="Arial"]SkyJacker 4" lift, 32" BFG M/T's, Smittybilt Rocker guards, XRC Front bumper, XRC 8 Winch and bikini top, KC Fogs and Warn Driving lights, M.O.R.E. 5/8" Boom Shackles, Rugged Ridge HD Steering, Rhino Lined, SkyJacker Hydro Shocks and Steering Stablizer, Bestop Seats, MCE Front Fenders [/FONT]
Unread 10-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #23
Bubbie
1989 YJ Wrangler 

More questions!!!

So, what is the opinion on this setup:

JKS telecoping track bar in front (is this any good?)
Remove rear track bar (?)
JKS Sway Bar disco's

All under a 2.5" EMU lift, HD around with 31" MTs.
Unread 10-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #24
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Interesting... So I thuroughly understand Sway Bars - is there a "reccomended" quick discconnect kit (and reconnect)?

What is the sacrifice of removing the track bar?

RE: 33's... I knew this was going to happen! I don't want a body lift. I don't want to mess with driveline angles (more than I have to). I will not cut fenders, don't want to replace the OE flares, or do I... This is an expensive hobby... Maybe I'd do 32" MTs, with a 5/8" shackle or something. The reality is, my 255/70R15 MTs have gotten me through every obstacle I've attempted. That being said, I do have an '89 5 speed 4 cylinder, so I have 4.10 gearing right?

Just don't see the "need" for 33s (I know, using the word "need" on the forums is suspect at best). Plus, I want to be able to get to my wheeling sites, which involves some highway time...
If there is a sacrifice of removing the track bar, it is as mentioned, side to side movement. That track bar holds the axle very tight. Let's put it this way, on a stock yj, with the track bars and sway bar on, when you turn the steering wheel very very abruptly at speed, it will hold a tighter track, the front end will hold a tighter with the track bar in the front, on quick and very abrubt turns at speed. The sacrifice might be that it will not feel quite as tight under these conditions. There is no question the front track bar holds the axle very tight on side to side movement.
As far as dis-connects, I bought JKS Quicker Disconnects, not to be confused with the JKS Quick Disconnect version. I think they are the best.
I have no plans for 33's either until I re-gear. 4:10 gearing on my 4 cylinder with 33's and a daily runner would be, well, not geared right..
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #25
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
More questions!!!

So, what is the opinion on this setup:

JKS telecoping track bar in front (is this any good?)
Remove rear track bar (?)
JKS Sway Bar disco's

Everything there is a waste of money. Ditch the bars. Maybe you heard you need a track bar from someone with a TJ because infact they do need trackbars.

As for discos. I made my own in the lowes hardware isle. Get some 1/2" dia trailer pins and some good clips. Take out the bolt and insert the pins. Whenever you hit the trail, ziptie the swaybar up out of the way and you're good to go. I also made a $5 hi-lift hood mount too.

Unread 10-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #26
makarov9mm
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone else just buy the springs and not the whole kit? I'm on a budget and am thinking of replacing the front springs first, using the shocks that are already on there (are they long enough? stock Jeep right now) -- Quadratec has the front springs listed as heavy duty at $68 each. I don't see rear springs that are heavy duty, just mid and light duty. They are about $90 each. The whole kit is over $800 but does have shocks and a transfer case lowering kit. The Skyjacker transfer case kit is $45, so for about $400 I could do the whole thing minus getting new shocks. The shocks on my Jeep are brand new, but like I said is it all stock right now. PO just had them put on along with brand new 215 size tires! Just put 31's on there and they look great but will rub the fenderwells if I hit a big bump.
makarov9mm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift , ome , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.