OME Lift? What's the risk? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OME Lift? What's the risk?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Bubbie
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OME Lift? What's the risk?

I have an '89 YJ with 48K miles on it. It runs perfect, wheels great, a fun toy.

I recently installed the ARB Quadratec Stubby bull bar with a Warn M8000. I'
ve noticed a little more sag in my front end. It is not a real problem.

I have NO other mods at all. I run 255/70/R15 mud terrains on Crager Soft Black 8 wheels.

I've been looking at the OME lift kit and perhaps some 31" MTs. The consenus seems to be that OME is a very solid lift kit...

My question is this: What is the risk of going with a lift kit? Everthing runs/feels great now - am I risking this ride quality with a lift?

What else might/will I need to replace for this lift?

Thanks in advance...

Unread 10-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The ride quality will be 10x better than stock springs.

get the heavy duty springs for all four corners and the OME shocks to go with it.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
doggie
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Last year I lifted a stock 93 with OME & 31's, rides nice, better than the stock setup except for maybe at higher speeds. Mines a toy so typically does not get out on the highway much anyways.

Check my profile for details. Check my sig link to see the rig.

Whats the risk - little to none in my opinion if you lift it right.
Unread 10-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

old man emu lift kits ride very nice. i put a 2.5 lift on my wife's liberty and it rode better then stock
Unread 10-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Bubbie
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your reply's. This will likely be a project in the spring - will likely be due for tires around that time. I'll be installing this with a friend - I am not mechanically inclined.

One quick follow up - when order the full OME lift, is there anything else I need?

New shackles?

Track bars?
Unread 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbie View Post
Thanks for your reply's. This will likely be a project in the spring - will likely be due for tires around that time. I'll be installing this with a friend - I am not mechanically inclined.

One quick follow up - when order the full OME lift, is there anything else I need?

New shackles?

Track bars?
You can order a kit, or piece-by-piece. Wait til the time comes and ask back again.

If you have the stock shackles I would at least consider a set of M.O.R.E greaseables but everything depends on your plans for the future.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

OME for the WIN... love mine.... HD on all 4 corners like someone else said.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know why, but for some reason, most guys tend to get new shackles with new lift kits. Maybe for the looks, perhaps. But you do not need new shackles with that size/type of lift. There is really nothing wrong with stock shackles unless you're planning on doing some really extreme crawling, which in that case they are a bit weak, but not for everyday use. Greasables are a plus, but not a requirement. Your tracs are already on the Jeep and most kits provide an extention/relocator. I'm not sure about OME? I you plan on taking it off road, then get some sway disco's so your front can flex.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
vanwyk4257
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed. I have stock shackles on my YJ with a 2.5" OME lift and shocks and I am very pleased with the ride. I have disconnected the front sway bar and removed the rear track bar. The front track bar will be removed very soon as well. I'm waiting until I finish my V8 conversion hopefully next spring and get my winch installed on the front, then I'll see how the ride height is and I'll either add a leaf from ARB to my existing spring pack or just install a slightly taller (5/8" or so) shackle to adjust.
I don't think you could possibly go wrong with ARB/OME equipment, they are some of the best designed and best built components available in my opinion.
Unread 10-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Greasables are a plus, but not a requirement.
Big trucks have had greasable bolts used for the frame/spring eye and the shackle pivots since the beginning of time. I don't know why the engineers didn't take them more into consideration when designing jeeps.

The greasable shackles made a huge difference. I went from 2 1/2" Old Man Emu springs on 1" lift shackles (non greasable) to greasable boomerangs I would say the ride improved by about 50%.

I'm also a satisfied Old Man Emu owner.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
Bubbie
1989 YJ Wrangler 

1) For those of you with an OME kit on a YJ - did you net more than 2.5" of lift? I've heard that the OME setup can lift as much as 3-4", especially on JK's, not sure if this occurs with the YJ leaf setup. Anyone?

2) Do you typically do the TC drop with this lift on a YJ?

3) Is HD all around the consenus? No Medium in the rear, HD up front?
Unread 10-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I think it's safe to say just about all new spring kits will be a little taller when first installed. Some 1/2", some 1" or so. But springs typically need some break in or settling in period. If your OME kit comes with TC drop spacers, you can use them if you want. that size lift is right on the bubble IMO as far as dline angle issues. but another option is installing a 1"mm lift or adding shims to help correct dline angles. Orrrrrrrrrrr... you can invest the coin right now and get an HD SYE kit and have it done right and forget about the MM and TC drop.
and no, a JK lift and YJ lift are not even remotely the same. coils vs. leafs.
and if it were me, I'd go HD all the way around.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #13
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As far as the question, "what is the risk of going with a lift kit?"
I think the question should probably be, what is the risk of going with a lift higher than 2.5 inches of lift? The higher you go on the suspension, the greater the need for a slip yoke eliminator kit/cv driveshaft. It is a matter of the rear drive shaft and the steeper angle created due to the lift. Sye kits are excellent, and kind of pricey if you add that to the price of a lift, and do it all at the same time. With 2.5 inches of lift, the risk is less that you will have a problem with angles as compared to say a 4 inch lift without an sye kit. you seem to like the charactaristics of the stock feeling ride. I suggest, if that is what you like, retain the sway bar in the front, get longer sway bar links to match the lift. If you want, keep the the trackbar up front too. The stock shackle plates are strong, you don't need a new shackle kit, just the bushings. If you retain the front sway bar and track bar, you will retain that stock feel pretty much, and if that's what you like and want, keep them on. It will ride and articulate better with them off however.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #14
Bubbie
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
I suggest, if that is what you like, retain the sway bar in the front, get longer sway bar links to match the lift. If you want, keep the the trackbar up front too. The stock shackle plates are strong, you don't need a new shackle kit, just the bushings. If you retain the front sway bar and track bar, you will retain that stock feel pretty much, and if that's what you like and want, keep them on. It will ride and articulate better with them off however.
Do people remove the sway bar and/or track bar on a daily driver jeep? I am not as concerned with "maintaining stock feel" as I am with "maintaining a safe and comfortable (as comfortable as a YJ can be) ride on the road". From what I've heard, the OME lift can actually improve both on and off road handling and drivability.

My current plan is a 2.5" OME HD lift, 31" BFG MTs, and a sway bar disconnect kit, which I would only disconnect when wheeling. Id like to avoid an SYE at this time, and utilize the TC drop if necessary.

I understand what a sway bar does, and how its removal enhances articulation. I am less clear on what a track bar does, and how a jeep handles without it. Anyone care to tackle that question? I'll do a search now too...

EDIT: Looks like Zerogravity answered my trackbar / sway bar question in January of this year, thanks! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...l-pics-953630/
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
GreenRenegade
2013 JK Wrangler 

The track bar is supposed to keep your axle "on track", i.e. left/right motion. With the YJs leaf springs, you don't really need it. The leafs will hold the axle where it is supposed to be.

Dan

Tags
lift , ome , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.