Om617 or rebuild 2.5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Om617 or rebuild 2.5

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 09-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
bigal389

Om617 or rebuild 2.5

This is my first post but I have been lurking for a while. I have an 87 with a 2.5. That is a daily driver with no off roading. I'm planning to either rebuild the 2.5 or do an engine swap. Give me your thoughts on both. I know I can get a little more power from the 2.5 but the om617 will have more
Thanks al

bigal389 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You'll need an AX-15 & a compatible NP231 in order to pull off an OM617 swap. I did an OM615 swap a while back, and it worked out nice, but the naturally aspirated OM615 is fairly anemic.

Rebuilding the 2.5L may be more cost effective.

Another option, if you're in a state with no inspections (like us here in Florida) or loose emission testing (we have none) there are alternatives. I just swapped a 2.5L/AX-5 out of a '91 YJ for an '81 CJ7 258/T176 arrangement. The original NP231 YJ transfer case (21 spline input) was utilized with an adapter from Advanced Adapters.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
bigal389

Yeah I'm in SC so no emissions. How did the Cj engine and trans do with the 4.10 gearing? I had also considered the 4.2 and using a 4.3 gm throttle body and injectors. I will have to do something this winter, the 2.5 has a wrist pin that's rattling. I had also considered doing a 3.0 mercruiser swap. Not crazy about a V8 or V6 swap so it will be an i4 or an i6. I plan to start the swap around November just have to figure out what route to take.
Thanks, Al
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The 4.2 from the CJ went great, we used a 38mm Weber & an HEI ignition system.

The 4.10 gears make it have killer "roll-on" acceleration, and it's on 31x10.50 BFG A/T tires.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 09-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
bigal389

That sounds good. Right now i have no lift and stock tires. I guess it's time to make a decision and start rounding up all the parts needed.
Thanks, Al
Unread 09-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I think if you were to keep the 2.5, it would be worth upgrading to the MPFI of the later 2.5.
The 2.5 is a great engine, maybe just a little under powered for what it's asked to do in a lifted, large tired Jeep!
I would definitely do the AX-15/external slave upgrade at the same time.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
bigal389

If I decide to keep the 2.5 I am definitely doing the mpfi swap on it. Just to decide which route to take.
Al
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately for the fate of the 2.5, I don't think you are going to find many lovers of it on this board.
I do remember reading a post about a guy that went through and totally rebuilt his 2.5 with OEM components, and as I recall was pretty amazed at the ability of the fresh engine.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
bigal389

Yeah I'm leaning towards the Om617. Does anyone have any suggestions for the do's and don't's of the swap? I want to be able to get all my ducks in a row before starting and don't want to end up wasting a bunch of money on learning what needs to be done.
Thanks, Al
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

no suggestions - I'm more of a gas guy myself, but this thread has me curious... why the mercedes rather than a 4bt?

yes, the OM617s are probably more readily (easily) found than the 4bt... but once you have the engine, I'd think parts would be much cheaper and easier to source for the cummins as (unless I was given wrong info) most of the parts of a 4bt can be had from a 6bt (Dodge Ram)
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
bigal389

You are correct on the parts availability for the 4bt, same bore and stroke as the 6 but it weighs a ton. Believe me I'm a dodge fan when it comes to the diesels but for the cost of the 4bt alone I can do a complete swap with the om617 since I can get a mercedes local for less that $1000 and then scrap what I don't need and get half I that back. Plus this is a daily driver that just needs a little more power and the fuel milage will be a plus.
Thanks, Al
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm planning on the mercedes swap after I'm done with rest of the jeep, maybe this spring I'll tear into it. While I was at Bantam this summer I was helping a buddy out with his booth right next to the Koch guys and their conversion kits - I was convinced. I spent a while talking with them and checking out the setup... the only thing in your oem gauges they can't get to work is the tach (stick a mini digital over top of it). If you get one from 81-85 out of a 300d (sd, cd, whatever) it's likely gonna be turbo. The adapter plate will hook it right to whatever trans you have, they have one for the ax-5 but it's not as recommended because it isn't likely to last as long due to the torque so it's a good idea to upgrade. I'd rather change motor mounts, trans, and tc for the mercedes than gut the entire thing and try to cram in a overweight 4bt or 6bt.

The Koch guys were also claiming 20+mpg on the trip up from York... and you can run it on fryer oil.

http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com/
Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
bigal389

That was kind of my train of thought, I didn't want to have to build my jeep around an engine if I go with a diesel. But I would like to know how labor intensive the swap will be for just one person and what kind of time frame it would taken.
Thanks, Al
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal389 View Post
That was kind of my train of thought, I didn't want to have to build my jeep around an engine if I go with a diesel. But I would like to know how labor intensive the swap will be for just one person and what kind of time frame it would taken.
Thanks, Al
I found the Koch guys pretty informative on that, wouldn't hesitate to call them.
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post

I found the Koch guys pretty informative on that, wouldn't hesitate to call them.
I spent a lot of time on the phone with Nathan Koch while working through a not so common OM615 swap. Their kits aren't designed for these engines, but we worked around the hurdles and made it work flawlessly!

Nathan was a huge source of technical info, and was real pleasure to work with. I recommend him highly!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.