older 258 into 91 YJ - questions - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > older 258 into 91 YJ - questions

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #46
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So I did come up with a 8.8 locally from a low-mile wreck. A little too much $$$ but not bad. It seems "everyone" says an 8.8 is about $150 and they are available "everywhere" but that isn't the case. Picking it up tomorrow AM.

On another update, I think I need to start a new, careful thread depicting my build. It might be useful to some folks trying to low-buck a frame-off but not making too many cheap compromises. Which is where I am right now.

In my rush to get hopefully this done this fall as a driver before snow I have determined that I won't have time to do this. I decided also that I need to slow down and do stuff that will be hard to get back to later- like cleaning up the frame and protecting it from rusting with rust converter and paint- before I install stainless brake lines, have the driveline in the way, etc.

With the motor and stuff out and plans to do the spring-over I think the body could be off the frame in under two hours. That will give easy access to the things I need to weld: moving front spring shackles to the rear of the spring, cross-member mounts for the tranny and flush tummy tuck skid plate, relocated and raised motor mounts, etc. This will let me clean and paint the frame complete which seems like such a good idea. The reality is that it is 40 degrees and snowing this morning

Along with this, if I am going to slow down, the seed that got planted in this link seems to make a lot of sense. I now have a complete '97 XJ 4.0 so I have a fantastic donor for a 4.6 stroker. Since I have the 258 all torn down for a rebuild I think it is not that much of a stretch to use the 4.0. Since the machine work to bore it .030 or .040 is only about $150 and new pistons are $230 +/- regardless of the size I think I can afford the parts. I might need to also buy lifters and perhaps a cam chain but I have everything else I need on hand.

For my purposes I think this will be an absolutely perfect jeep and I can't think of anything else I would want to do. To chronicle everything I will start snapping photos, record my actual labor time for some processes, and catalog my parts sources, part numbers, etc. Maybe my build will be a thread that will be as useful to a few people as others have been so beneficial to me

fishadventure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #47
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It turns out that I procured an '89 DD in OK shape at a steal of a price. Still working on the 91' project, however

In the meantime, for the '89, I put my own spin on the homemade Posi-lok cable using the NAPA cable. This gave me some great ideas for the '91! It occurred to me this AM after doing the posi-lok yesterday that I could use an electric two-way plunger servo/solenoid to run the axle disconnect. That way with a simple toggle switch, relay, and a plunger switch on the t-case mechanism I can make it work like the OEM setup or still "opt it out" for 2wd low... I know, I know, WAY overthinking it but it would be a neat little gadget to employ

Tags
2.5 , 258 , clutch , motor mount , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.