Old Man Emu Leaf Spring Width? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Old Man Emu Leaf Spring Width?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 01-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Old Man Emu Leaf Spring Width?

Can someone measure their springs, I'm at work now and I want to order new sleeves and bushings.

I thought they were 2 1/2 wide but I put a ruler on the spring eye end before leaving the house and they measred at 2 5/16. Was I in a hurry? Did I not see straight? Or, is that right?

YJ, heavy duty version of OME leaf springs.

Thanks for a hand with this.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Douglas S.

Just a guess, but I would bet they are a little skinnier at the spring eye to allow room for the bushing between the spring and the shackle/frame mount.
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
Just a guess, but I would bet they are a little skinnier at the spring eye to allow room for the bushing between the spring and the shackle/frame mount.
makes sense and that may be why the 2 1/2 sleeves I have now are too long.
Unread 01-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
USMC SouthernYJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've got OME springs too and the bushings I bought stick out a touch too. Not a big deal.
War Eagle!
USMC SouthernYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC SouthernYJ View Post
I've got OME springs too and the bushings I bought stick out a touch too. Not a big deal.
what has been happening is the metal sleeves are a little too long and there is some side to side movement; like the plates are not perpendicular.

like this, / \ rather than this | |

I guess I could cut the tubes.

thx
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

the shackle plates should be about 3" apart. the difference between the spring-eye width and the plates should be taken up by the bushing which has a lip and should stick out about 1/4" on either side. the metal sleeve should be a hair longer then the assembled bushing. when tightened it should become one with bolt and shackle and the movement should take place between the bushing and sleeve. this is why they should be tightened completely and shouldnt effect "flex" contrary to popular belief.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
the shackle plates should be about 3" apart. the difference between the spring-eye width and the plates should be taken up by the bushing which has a lip and should stick out about 1/4" on either side. the metal sleeve should be a hair longer then the assembled bushing. when tightened it should become one with bolt and shackle and the movement should take place between the bushing and sleeve. this is why they should be tightened completely and shouldnt effect "flex" contrary to popular belief.
right. the sleeves are tight to the plate but there is a little room between the plates and the bushings.

now that I have measured it, and assuming I saw it correctly, I probably have sleeves that are just a little too long for my springs.
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a pretty good mental image of what you guys are describing, and it seems like those metal sleeves should be cut down in jbolty's case...

I wonder how much should be shaved off? How much sleeve should extend past the assembled bushings and springs? Is 1/32" on each side about right? I'm just guessing to try and help stir the pot... Keep us informed on how it turns out

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
YJhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJhobby View Post
I wonder how much should be shaved off? How much sleeve should extend past the assembled bushings and springs? Is 1/32" on each side about right? I'm just guessing to try and help stir the pot... Keep us informed on how it turns out
What fratis is saying is correct. You don't want the bushings themselves to mushroom out (or in, in this case). My BDS bushing sleeves were just a 'hair' longer than the bushings. Maybe 1/16th longer on each side. These were factory, so I can only assume they are correct.

I Jboltys case, if he can squeeze the bushing in and get them very snug in the spring eyes, then check the length of the sleeves, he could trim them accordingly if in fact they are too long and need to be trimmed.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Have been running a set of brandonyj booms with the OME bushings and with a set of greaseable bolts and sleeves I got from jc whitney. The whole set up is not lined up correctly and is binding.

I ordered a full set of greaseables from M.O.R.E. yesterday. When I get those I'll take some careful measurements and see if I need to trim the spring eye sleeve tubes. After measureing again last night the spring eye end is definately a little narrower than the middle and is a little less than 2 1/2"

as mentioned above, if the tubes are the exact right length you should be able to torque down the shackle bolts pretty hard without effecting the movement, since the tubes carry all the pressure.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.