Old Man Emu 2.5" suspension on a 1995 YJ - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Old Man Emu 2.5" suspension on a 1995 YJ

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 08-24-2009, 12:59 AM   #46
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
Here are the pictures of the OME 2.5" lift installed on a 1995 Jeep YJ Sahara -

stick some nice 31s under there and open the flares up and this is how a STOCK YJ SHOULD have been sold as - IMO

I cant wait to get this kit, its on my list for my next lift right after my aussie locker install, I've been able to do most of what I wanted to do on my 30s and 1.5" lift, I cant wait for 2.5" and 31s

1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #47
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
Hope this does not sound the wrong way. I need to ask. You did put the rear emu springs on the rear, and the front emu springs on the front right? And the + stamps on the all of the springs should be facing forward, to the front of the vehicle.

No offense taken, but all the springs were installed correctly; + at the front of each towards the front of the vehicle. I also installed the front springs at the front and the rears at the end of the Jeep.

I'm also 100% positive there were no shims anywhere on the old springs, new springs, or on the bottom of the rear axle. I looked for them specifically when installing the rear portion of this lift.

I'm going to get on the phone with Old Man Emu customer service as soon as my cell phone charges some. Hopefully then I'll know what's going on...
southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #48
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
stick some nice 31s under there and open the flares up and this is how a STOCK YJ SHOULD have been sold as - IMO

I cant wait to get this kit, its on my list for my next lift right after my aussie locker install, I've been able to do most of what I wanted to do on my 30s and 1.5" lift, I cant wait for 2.5" and 31s

I agree completely. This look is perfect .

I'm planning on some 31's as soon as my 29's wear some more (should have close to 10k miles left on 'em). After splurging this much for a solid suspension, I'm going to get my money's worth out of the 29's for sure .
Unread 08-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #49
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It has to be the fact that there are no shims, what else could it be? Please post the response from OME regarding this. I can't image they would say, "you don't need them", obviously you do, I would think.
Unread 08-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #50
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
It has to be the fact that there are no shims, what else could it be? Please post the response from OME regarding this. I can't image they would say, "you don't need them", obviously you do, I would think.

I tried to call OME's American branch in Texas. All I got was an automated message that said "This mailbox is full." I rechecked the number and called again, same message.

I also checked my email. I sent them a message yesterday evening detailing my situation. They sent me back an automatic message stating I would be contacted within 24 hours by a technician. I have yet to receive an email...

At this point it was 5:03 P.M. and Quadratec's customer service dept. closes at 5... I tried anyway, but got their automated message telling me to call back within business hours.

I'm going to try to call Quadratec again tomorrow morning. I would really rather call OME, being that its their product, but since the obviously don't answer their phones (or check voice mails) I'm kind of stuck.
Unread 08-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #51
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I tried to call OME's American branch in Texas. All I got was an automated message that said "This mailbox is full." I rechecked the number and called again, same message.

I also checked my email. I sent them a message yesterday evening detailing my situation. They sent me back an automatic message stating I would be contacted within 24 hours by a technician. I have yet to receive an email...

At this point it was 5:03 P.M. and Quadratec's customer service dept. closes at 5... I tried anyway, but got their automated message telling me to call back within business hours.

I'm going to try to call Quadratec again tomorrow morning. I would really rather call OME, being that its their product, but since the obviously don't answer their phones (or check voice mails) I'm kind of stuck.
ARB (the parent company) is in washington state.

I emailed them the other day and had in answer in minutes

tech@arbusa.com

http://www.arbusa.com/Contact-Us/9.aspx
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #52
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

sorry to hear you are having issues.
what part number is on the rear springs?
so far as i know, all rear springs have the shims already installed.
you may have posted in your other thread, but do you have a pic of the drive line angles?
and yes, i meant that running J1R springs all around is the best setup. i dont know whether they call them "heavy duty, medium duty etc" but that is the part number.
i ran a soft top and a winch, they are perfect. of course, a sales rep at q/tec will know more.... amazing how these guys just rattle off what they have read with no real world experience.
try to call/email arbusa. they will get to the bottom of it for you.

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #53
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

ok, i saw your other thread.
1) your driveshaft slip yoke is getting borderline IMHO. there is not much engagement on the splines so it seems from the pics.
2) the differential yoke should be the same angle as the transfer case output on a u joint shaft. so if the transfer case shaft is level to the ground, that is where the differentials pinion gear needs to be. the same angle counter acts the vibes you are getting.
you need to either address the slip yoke correctly (sye/cv shaft), or get a shim in there.
i have never used shims so cant comment on the angle you need, sorry. i have always rewelded perches etc to get angles 110% correct.

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #54
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
ok, i saw your other thread.
1) your driveshaft slip yoke is getting borderline IMHO. there is not much engagement on the splines so it seems from the pics.
2) the differential yoke should be the same angle as the transfer case output on a u joint shaft. so if the transfer case shaft is level to the ground, that is where the differentials pinion gear needs to be. the same angle counter acts the vibes you are getting.
you need to either address the slip yoke correctly (sye/cv shaft), or get a shim in there.
i have never used shims so cant comment on the angle you need, sorry. i have always rewelded perches etc to get angles 110% correct.

martin

Well, I went outside and looked everything over again. I decided to take the Jeep back on the road for another test drive. I rolled the windows up, tightened the soft top as much as it would go, and killed anything that would make noise: like the radio, blower fan, even my cell phone in case it went off. I drove it down the road about two miles, intentionally revving to around 2,500-3,000 RPM's between gears. I still heard a slight vibration from the rear area, but not nearly as significant as what I heard yesterday. I then rolled my windows down and I could barely heard it at all... maybe the lift settled in over the 24 hours it was sitting in my driveway

So I pulled back in the driveway and got my torque wrench out. I went around the entire suspension and tightened all the fasteners to factory specs, again, just like I did a day prior. I tightened everything again, even the steering stabilizer I put on about 3 months back. However, nothing seemed loose. Once I was finished, I took the Jeep out for another test run... now the vibration was gone I couldn't hear it at all. I even swung back by the house and had a friend drive it the same 2 mile route with me in the backseat listening for anything. It was gone! I then took it on a new stretch of highway that was just built and drove the Jeep up to 70mph. No problems at all, and most importantly, no vibration what so ever. All I could hear was the transmission winding and tires humming.

The only thing I can think of is maybe something was loose somewhere in the mix; and re-torquing the entire set-up must have fixed whatever wasn't tight enough. This is good news, but I will still try to call ARB/OME, and maybe Quadratec, again tomorrow and talk with a tech. I'm also due for a tire rotation and now my alignment is a little off from all the suspension work; so I'm also planning on going by my former Jeep dealership (thanks Chrysler) and having that done since I have a coupon. I'm going to talk with one of their Jeep mechanics about the rear drive shaft angle as well.

Thanks for the help guys,
Unread 08-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #55
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
ARB (the parent company) is in washington state.

I emailed them the other day and had in answer in minutes

tech@arbusa.com

Contact Us

Thanks for the help. I'll call them tomorrow.
Unread 09-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #56
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I decided to play it safe and go with a SYE. It's just a better option overall and I'll feel much better driving down the highway at 70MPH. The last thing I want is a broken driveshaft flailing around down there. And being able to raise my T-case back up where it should be is a nice added bonus.

I went with the Advance Adapters SYE kit w/ the Tom Woods CV driveshaft. I got it from Oconee also. I'll be finishing up the install this afternoon so I can call Tom Woods tomorrow with the driveshaft measurements. I also decided to paint the SYE housing yellow to match my OME shocks and bushings. It looks great already (it's been curing for a couple days now. I thoroughly cleaned the housing with acetone. Then sprayed 2 coats of Valspar primer followed by 4 coats of Valspar yellow gloss. I had some gloss clear coat left over from a previous project and decided to spray a couple coats to give it a nice seal and shine.

I'll put some pictures up when I get everything finished...
Unread 09-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #57
KRenegade
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice Clean Sahara. I can't wait to save up the funds for my 2.5 OME lift.....
Unread 08-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #58
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I decided to play it safe and go with a SYE. It's just a better option overall and I'll feel much better driving down the highway at 70MPH. The last thing I want is a broken driveshaft flailing around down there. And being able to raise my T-case back up where it should be is a nice added bonus.

I went with the Advance Adapters SYE kit w/ the Tom Woods CV driveshaft. I got it from Oconee also. I'll be finishing up the install this afternoon so I can call Tom Woods tomorrow with the driveshaft measurements. I also decided to paint the SYE housing yellow to match my OME shocks and bushings. It looks great already (it's been curing for a couple days now. I thoroughly cleaned the housing with acetone. Then sprayed 2 coats of Valspar primer followed by 4 coats of Valspar yellow gloss. I had some gloss clear coat left over from a previous project and decided to spray a couple coats to give it a nice seal and shine.

I'll put some pictures up when I get everything finished...
pics?
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #59
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrt4me View Post
pics?
I was just checking my account and saw your post. I had honestly forgot about starting this thread. I'll try to post up some photos tomorrow of the Jeep. I will be sure to photo the SYE kit, drive shaft angle, etc. I'll also list the OME part numbers for the springs used for reference.

UPDATE:

I know this is somewhat overdue, but I've done a few changes since my last post in this thread:

- I installed a hard top - doing this taxed my rear light duty springs pretty well. After a few months with the hard top, steel rear bumper and a spare tire back there I began to notice some sag and fatigue in the rear springs only. I picked up a pair of the OME rear HD springs and installed them about 2 months ago. They are holding up great and the ride is excellent.

Here is my hardtop resto write-up (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/j...-pics-1139125/). The photos at the end of this thread are of my YJ with the top installed and 31's, but with the medium springs in the rear. These photos were taken right after I installed the top on the Jeep, so the sagging was not very noticeable.

- My factory size tires finally wore out enough to warrant replacement. I had plenty of time to save and went with 31x10.50 BFG ATs - I love these tires and they fit perfectly with the 2.5" OME kit. No trimming of the fender flares were required and they have not rubbed during the mild offroading my Jeep has experienced since the install. As a side note - my wife bought me a fifth BFG to replace my stock spare for my birthday. I decided to mount it on the tailgate with the aide of the Outland tailgate reinforcement kit many of the guys have been using here on JF (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/o...t-kit-1057401/). I highly recommend this kit as it does exactly what it is advertised to do (and it's not expensive at all).

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.