Old Man Emu 2.5" suspension on a 1995 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Old Man Emu 2.5" suspension on a 1995 YJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 08-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Old Man Emu 2.5" suspension on a 1995 YJ

I've finally decided to replace the old suspension on my '95 YJ Sahara. I don't want to do anything crazy because it's my daily driver and I like getting around 20mpg The stock leafs are worn and sagging. I've decided to go with an OME Heavy Suspension System and a set of modest 31 tires (probably around 9" wide). While I'm at it, I'm planning on bolting on a new set of u-bolts as well. Before I do all this I have some questions:

Has anyone here installed this OME system on their YJ?
How difficult was the project and how long did it take?
Did you run into any snags during the install?
If you went with 31's, what kind of mileage do you get?
Do you like the results?
And lastly, do you have any picture(s) of the system installed?

Thanks,

southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I havnt installed a lift yet, but I am going to on the next couple months. The general consensu around here tho is rust and stuck bolts. I have searched and read so many posts about suspensions that I know those are the biggies. Just make sure you have all the parts ordered and get replacement bolts if they r not included with your lift. Jm $.02
And you keep the terrorists in check before you get your *** blowed off.[/B][/FONT]
RebuildRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice. I have two spray cans of penetrating oil left over from previous projects and I plan on soaking all of the u-bolts and shock hardware twice a day during the week leading up to the install. Hopefully this takes care of any seized hardware...
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
DriveTooMuch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Text a complete list of EVERYTHING you purchased for this lift. What do you have? What came with the kit?
DriveTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
I've finally decided to replace the old suspension on my '95 YJ Sahara. I don't want to do anything crazy because it's my daily driver and I like getting around 20mpg The stock leafs are worn and sagging. I've decided to go with an OME Heavy Suspension System and a set of modest 31 tires (probably around 9" wide). While I'm at it, I'm planning on bolting on a new set of u-bolts as well. Before I do all this I have some questions:

Has anyone here installed this OME system on their YJ?
yes

How difficult was the project and how long did it take?
Easy, couple of hours. Cutting all the bolts saves a lot of time

Did you run into any snags during the install?
None

If you went with 31's, what kind of mileage do you get?
Had 31's for a while, have never checked mileage

Do you like the results?
thrilled. it flexes like crazy, rides smooth and is quiet. (add greasable shackle bolts too)

And lastly, do you have any picture(s) of the system installed?

picture below is on 33's, OME springs, 5/8 shackles, 1" body lift, TJ flares.

Thanks,

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

be sure that the springs are J1R's all the way around.
get new u bolts, it isnt worth the hassle of trying to reuse old junk, and not very safe IMHO.
get ready to just cut all old bolts off, grade 8 bolts and nuts are too cheap to take a day removing 2 bolts...
the ride and flex are amazing, you will be very happy with the springs.
what shocks are you going to run?? the old man emu shocks ride very well for a mildly built rig (not enough travel for soa etc)

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice guys. Here's a link to kit I'm interested in (I'm going with the OME shocks included)-

http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/servlet...-2.5%22/Detail

Also, does anyone know if there is a manufacturer that makes stainless steel u-bolts??? Is this a stupid question for some reason? I've been slowly changing out all of my external hardware with stainless replacements (the people at ACE hardware know me well...) due to the fact that I'm moving to the coast of South Carolina in November. The humidity and salt there take a toll on any exposed steel and rust it quickly.
Unread 08-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

jbolty, what kind of bumper is that on your Wrangler? I really like the look of it.

Also, what kind of grease do you guys recommend for the bushings? If you have a link to a retail site that would be great.
Unread 08-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
jbolty, what kind of bumper is that on your Wrangler? I really like the look of it.

Also, what kind of grease do you guys recommend for the bushings? If you have a link to a retail site that would be great.

Home built bumper, someday I'll get a winch for it. The hooks are from a chevy truck; they bolt right on.

I got my OME stuff from oconee as well. Good guys and the price is about the same anyway. I had them swap out the t-case drop for new u bolts.

I use heavy equipment grease, like for backhoes. Supposed to be less sticky to attract sand and dirt. Just looks like grease to me but it's a cool red color.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #10
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have the OME lift on mine. I got a whole kit from www.4wd.com. Came with the springs, shocks, bushings, and t-case lowering pucks/bolts. It did not come with the steel sleves that go inside the bushings, so I reused my old ones. I also went to a shop and had some new u-bolts made. I also already had a SYE, so I simply did not install the t-case lowering pucks, and got a set of diffrent angle shims for the rear axle. I'm running a set of 31x10.50 BFG MT's. Stock shackles and no body lift.
Here is aout the only pic I have showing it. I do drive it daily.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
DriveTooMuch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. Here's a link to kit I'm interested in (I'm going with the OME shocks included)-

http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/servlet...-2.5%22/Detail

Also, does anyone know if there is a manufacturer that makes stainless steel u-bolts??? Is this a stupid question for some reason? I've been slowly changing out all of my external hardware with stainless replacements (the people at ACE hardware know me well...) due to the fact that I'm moving to the coast of South Carolina in November. The humidity and salt there take a toll on any exposed steel and rust it quickly.
Good deal. Those bushings come with the kit, that is good stuff. EMU bushings are among the best. They alone are valued probably around 120 bucks, just for the bushings.
Unread 08-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Cobra, thanks for the pic. That's exactly what I'm going for. I like the heightened stance that it gives the Jeep; it's just enough, but not too much for what I'm trying to accomplish. I really like the stock look of the YJ and want to keep that integrity as much as possible. Were the differential angle shims completely necessary, or are they more of an option? I've been told by several people that OME designs their lifts to work without any other modifications (with the exception of new u-bolts most of the time), so your installation of the shims is something new to me.
Unread 08-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
DriveTooMuch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The EMU rear springs for the 2.5 lift come with steel shims already on the leafs. The fronts do not, they do not need shims, the front drive shaft is much longer. They are made of the same material as the springs themselves which is good. Alot of people do not like the alloy shims as they have been known to crack. They are already shimmed and ready to go which is nice. You guys are playing my song here. this is exactly what I am doing, and to add, the front bumper" if I am using the right words, on Cobras yj is the exact one I am looking at, those things look great. Just a great look. EMU believes the rear shims are necessary, thats why they come with them. I am also of the same school of thought of keeping the integrity, but build strong. Good stuff there.
Unread 08-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #14
RoverJeep90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

As stated, cut all the bolts you can. Use a couple grinding wheels and buy yourself some new bolts. ~$30 vs. Days of frustration. I ran into some snags with the bolts being hard to get off the shackles. I reused mine, so I didn't want to damage them. If you don't have a lot of space to work with, you will find that you will spend a lot of time maneuvering and preparing to do one bolt only to have to move again. Buy a lot of PB Blaster. Don't waste your time with WD40. It's just not the same on rust.

It took about 3 days. If timed straight, probably about 18-20 hours. (I had a lot of rust)
I ride with 31" BFG MTs just like Cobra Jeep. I get 15 MPG consistently, unless I have to step on it. I run the 2.5L
I'm completely happy with the kit. I like the stance, enjoy the travel in the springs, and more than anything love the ride.

Here are some pictures. Let me know if you want more. I have a ton. This is with a 1" BL.

Sony CDX-GT300 | Kicker ZX500.1 | Kicker ZX350.4 | Kicker ZX200.2 | Kicker L5 Solobaric Sub | Kicker 6x9's | Apline 6.5's | Boston 4x6's
Truckstop CB Antenna | Class 3 Hitch

Last edited by RoverJeep90; 08-11-2009 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: New Picture Tool. Bad.
RoverJeep90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #15
93RedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You will be be very happy with the full OME kit. I installed that along with an OME steering stabilizer. I run 31" BFG A/T's and the setup is awesome. You can't beat the smooth ride. Good luck with the install.

93RedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.