Old Man Emu - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Old Man Emu

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
sbs1794

Old Man Emu

On jeep 4x4 center the old man emu leaf springs are listed as being 2 inches of lift, while on quadratec they are listed as 2.5 inches of lift. They have the same part numbers, so whats up? are they the same spring? If so what is the actual lift, 2 inches or 2.5?

sbs1794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Most lifts will sag a small amount after installation.
Unread 08-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It depends on how heavy your Jeep is if you get the 14f springs you will not get as much height as you would with the 36R springs (5 leaf heavy load spring). Most people on this forum go with the 36R's front and rear which net closer to 3" of lift , An they will be work better with heavier Jeeps with armor bumpers winches, hardtop, 4.0 ect.....

I would shop around also and not buy the OME kit , You can save yourself a few hundred by buying springs, shocks, shackles , and u bolts, & bushings separately. Quadratec is overpriced and their shipping prices are crazy high . Look through our vendors and you can probably get a good deal.

Here is a link to a thread from last week when another member posted up some links where he pieced together his OME lift for a good price his username to look for in the thread is dtn8tr:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...mmend-1248979/

There is a member on here who has a build thread for his YJ called YJ Betty using the OME 36R springs there is a good bit of info in there also Here is the link to the build thread :

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/y...ation-1229681/
Unread 08-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing after a little settling I gained about 2"

Just curious. What's the record for OME posts on the front page at one time?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
It depends on how heavy your Jeep is if you get the 14f springs you will not get as much height as you would with the 36R springs (5 leaf heavy load spring). Most people on this forum go with the 36R's front and rear which net closer to 3" of lift , An they will be work better with heavier Jeeps with armor bumpers winches, hardtop, 4.0 ect.....

There is a member on here who has a build thread for his YJ called YJ Betty using the OME 36R springs there is a good bit of info in there also

I would shop around also and not buy the OME kit , You can save yourself a few hundred by buying springs, shocks, shackles , and u bolts, & bushings separately. Quadratec is overpriced and their shipping prices are crazy high . Look through our vendors and you can probably get a good deal.
I had heard that the HD springs were more like 3.5" of lift. Maybe I just heard wrong.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
I had heard that the HD springs were more like 3.5" of lift. Maybe I just heard wrong.
The consensus says 3-3.5" Nobody has really took a measurement at the rocker to the ground before and after that I recall. When I get my next YJ I will be using the 36R's I will take Detailed measurements of the net gain. I belive that the people who gained closer to 3.5" were running 4bangers and still had stock bumpers
Unread 08-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
The consensus says 3-3.5" Nobody has really took a measurement at the rocker to the ground before and after that I recall. When I get my next YJ I will be using the 36R's I will take Detailed measurements of the net gain. I belive that the people who gained closer to 3.5" were running 4bangers and still had stock bumpers
well Im not running a 4banger, I run my spare in the rear, all my gear, my kids, my hardtop, and whatever else I can find to put int there....dont run a winch, but meh...

Have yet in 7 years for them to sag..... and after replacing my 14 in the front for the 36 I got a good inch better height, measuring was over an inch but I figured my 14 had saged a bit over the course of 7 years maybe.... so I going close to 3.5" on the 36R........

they will get you 3" for sure, and 5/8 shackles, and you over 3.5 easy peasy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

good to know that I might net possibly as much as 3.5", as I was just planning to order four (4) 36Rs for the front and rear of my moderate OME 2.5" suspension lift with greaseable 5/8" boomerang shackles...; that will be another factor to consider as I have to learn/decide what else I may need to do in conjunction with the lift, e.g. would I need either SYE and/or T-case drop? drop pitman arm? extended brake lines? steering stabilizer? regear for 32" tires? modify and/or trim fender flares? new bump stops?
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I gained 3" and it has settled to 2 1/2"

One Jeep is Never Enough
copleydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by copleydad View Post
I gained 3" and it has settled to 2 1/2"
so in the end, exactly as advertised
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #11
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

And I love the new lift. Rides so much better on the highway, seems to move better on the beach too. Glad i spent the money to get the OME rather than settling on lesser quality.

One Jeep is Never Enough
copleydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post

Just curious. What's the record for OME posts on the front page at one time?
The answer is: ONE
Unread 08-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #13
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post
The answer is: ONE
Nope there were 5 at 1 point the other day !

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.