Old Man Emu - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Old Man Emu

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
sbs1794

Old Man Emu

What makes the OME lift for a yj ride so well, the springs or shocks? Im sure they both add to it but what has a greater effect. If I were to get the OME springs with say Rancho shocks how much would the ride quality be deteriorated compared to OME springs/shocks.

sbs1794 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Cooper13
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just put in OME's 2.5 on the wife's joop. Didn't use their springs (can't remember which one's I used). So with just the springs in I can tell you it made a huge difference in the ride quality. Haven't had a chance to take her off-road yet but just city cruisin' is a much nicer experience.
Unread 08-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I put the springs and shocks on just last week. It's a huge improvement over stock, but stock was sixteen years old! Everything was rusted solid, it couldn't have been working like it should. My advise is to get the springs and save on the shocks, but no matter what is done, it will be an improvement.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
troy.j
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would think that a good quality shock would make a bigger difference than the spring. Take any spring made for a jeep without shocks and it will bob like a cork. The shock controls that bob/bounce. Rebound rate compression rate.... those are things that are adjustable on high quality shocks. Some shocks are valved for lighter rigs like a jeep some lines of shocks are valved the same and only the body changes length (those ride like crap because they are valved for full-sized rigs)

...ask those who have bled of the cost of freedom and honor those who gave that others may have what we take for granted...
troy.j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
sbs1794

and which shocks are the ones valved for lighter rigs like jeeps?
sbs1794 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have run and installed the OME springs on various YJ's over the years. That is THE only spring I will recommend. For shocks I normally put on the Skyjackers. Cheap and ride good on a SOA YJ. The part numbers are listed in a post I made that is now in the FAQ section for SOA parts list.
The springs will make a massive difference. But if you use a stiff shock like a Bilstein, you will be losing half the soft ride.
there is no easy answer to your initial question really, as both springs AND shocks can have a massive effect on handling and ride quality.
Pick wisely and do it once is my opinion.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You obviously cant go wrong with OME springs and shocks, but to save some $$ I chose to run the OME springs with BDS shocks. The BDS shocks were a good bit cheaper (with the JF discount and free shipping to a local 4wd shop), and the ride is great.
'04 WJ
The Past:
'83 CJ7, '92 YJ, '00 XJ, '99 TJ, '05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19OlllllllO41 View Post
You obviously cant go wrong with OME springs and shocks, but to save some $$ I chose to run the OME springs with BDS shocks. The BDS shocks were a good bit cheaper (with the JF discount and free shipping to a local 4wd shop), and the ride is great.
thanks for the tip, that's what I'll do as well
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
troy.j
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbs1794 View Post
I know I have had bad luck with rough country and rancho. I would talk to a company’s tec line and see what the rebound and compression rates are for their shocks. Made a huge difference in the ride of my old CJ. Rough country and Rancho sucked then I started calling tech and settled on a set of skyjackers.

...ask those who have bled of the cost of freedom and honor those who gave that others may have what we take for granted...
troy.j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbs1794 View Post
Bilstein 5100's, 5150's, and OME to name a few off of my head . I posted a reply in your other thread with part #'s and specs to shocks that are valved for your Jeep. I did forget to mention that they also have a lifetime warranty if it can not be rebuilt they will send you a new shock. I've had bent the shaft on one of my bilstein 5100's on my YJ and they replaced it with no questions.

Here's the specs for the Bilstein 5100 for your application :

46mm Monotube Shock Absorber
New Part Number: 24-064576
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-6457-H5

Setting: 5100 Series
Drive Type: 4WD
Position: Front
Descriptor: Front Lifted Height: 3-4"
*Collapsed Length (IN): 16.97
*Extended Length (IN): 28.44
*Collapsed Length (MM): 431.0
*Extended Length (MM): 722.5
Finish: Zinc plated
Reservoir: No

Part Number: 24-185660
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-6458-H5;F4-BE5-6458-H7

Setting: 5100 Series
Drive Type: 4WD
Position: Rear
Descriptor: Rear Lifted Height: 3-4"
*Collapsed Length (IN): 14.63
*Extended Length (IN): 23.68
*Collapsed Length (MM): 371.5
*Extended Length (MM): 601.5

You can take the Extended and Collapsed length of these shocks and find other shocks the same length also.

You asked about the RE twin tubes in your other thread also they are an Ok shock, But with RE being bought out by Procomp I can not vouch for their quality anymore. Monroe (Rancho) does make all of Procomps shocks will probably start producing the RE shocks soon . I was always a fan of RE and Ran RE lifts but I will wait a few years before making judgement since a Sub-par company owns them now.

As for the original question . It's a combination of spring and shock quality. A lot of R&D and real world experience. A great spring with a poor shock will ride ok, A bad spring with good shocks will ride ok. A Good spring and shock will ride awesome Hence OME's great reviews , A bad spring and shock , Well have you ever heard of Rough Country ?

Tags
2.5 , lift , old man emu , ome , springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.