old leafs - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > old leafs

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-31-2014, 01:18 PM   #16
Jeepsr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
I still have trac bars...
Me too.... I got like 40 of them.. I figure if jeep used 2 of them that more is better...

Mine are in the scrap pile were they belong.

Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #17
amp713
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsr4me View Post
me too.... I got like 40 of them.. I figure if jeep used 2 of them that more is better...

Mine are in the scrap pile were they belong.
bahahahahaha
Unread 08-31-2014, 10:02 PM   #18
BuffaWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Look into OME 2.5" or BDS springs. Same price as OEM, and much better ride. If getting into the Jeep is an issue, get a cheap set of side bar steps for $100. Ride will be a ton better.
Unread 08-31-2014, 10:30 PM   #19
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just wondering how much a spring shop should charge to re-arch YJ springs?

South Florida is not the type of area one can go and get an honest answer about what a price should be, so I want to find out before calling up a spring shop.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 06:17 AM   #20
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
Just wondering how much a spring shop should charge to re-arch YJ springs?

South Florida is not the type of area one can go and get an honest answer about what a price should be, so I want to find out before calling up a spring shop.
I went to a shop that deals with dump trucks and semi tractors. Their tools are steel, not solid platinum like a 4x4 speciality shop uses and wants us to pay for...

I needed all new bushings and shackles and wanted a 2.5" lift. They got a 2.5" "keeper" spring to replace my first free top one and arched the rest to match with new U bolts. Ran me about $125.00 a set of 2 if I remember right.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #21
langwilliams
1995 YJ Wrangler 

that sounds like a good way to go Mike. I picked up a set of "2-2.5" springs from a guy parting out a jeep with a bad frame. I did the rears this morning an got about 1.5" of lift over the well worn an nearly flat stockers (I think they were stockers). I don't really want to climb into a 5" lifted jeep but I'd like to fit 31's under it. I had 2 shackle bolts come out without a cut off wheel, everything else had to be cut.
langwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #22
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have done a lot of research recently along the same issue and looked at replacing the springs. From what I have read you are going to get a stiffer ride replacing the springs until they are broken in. I ordered the Skyjacker H7055 Softride Hydro Shock Absorbers for 0 in lift after a lot of reading along with my front brake replacement parts.
IA93Javert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #23
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check this link:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/15...pas-and-fixes/

Bottom of it check out "win some, lose some". I'm currently lining up a set of used YJ springs to do this. That and the 1.25" lift shackles that the PO put on will allow me to run my 31's till I put on a small lift with new springs next year. (Fender trimming may also be in order)
Unread 09-06-2014, 06:44 AM   #24
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny View Post
Check this link:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/15...pas-and-fixes/

Bottom of it check out "win some, lose some". I'm currently lining up a set of used YJ springs to do this. That and the 1.25" lift shackles that the PO put on will allow me to run my 31's till I put on a small lift with new springs next year. (Fender trimming may also be in order)
That's pretty cool.

I'm wondering if it's only YJ springs that could work since one is cutting off the ends anyhow. I'd guess that as long as the width was the same, other leafs could work?
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #25
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

With the yj springs you are basically trying to "restore" your ride and height. Other springs will work but you'll more than likely gain lift and possibly alter your ride quality. All depends on what you are after. I wondered about using the main from rear XJ springs but they are usually worse and flatter than the POS's that are on YJs. Good luck.
Unread 09-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #26
medic-11
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What you guys are talking about, the "win some lose some" is a bastard pack. It is common to add a leaf from another vehicles spring pack to restore or add lift. The are a few threads on this forum about it, as elk as in other forums.
medic-11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #27
adiubald
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you can also search- "add a leaf kits". Along the same lines as a bastard pack without searching for a donor pack. Typically the kits come with a new leaf to be added to your existing pack, new center bolts and clamps. The amount of lift depends on the condition of your current springs.

I added a heavy bumper and winch to my YJ (about 250 lbs). It caused the front springs to flatten and nose dive. The add a leaf kit brought me to +1" now in the front. Now, only I know that the front seems to be a little higher than the rear.

If you do a bastard pack or add a leaf, some amount of fine tuning will be required to get all four corners at the same height. IMO- its worth saving the $$, even if you have to try a couple of times to get it right.
adiubald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #28
petertom13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is it recommended to remove the trac bars or what?
petertom13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #29
Gealii
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by petertom13
Is it recommended to remove the trac bars or what?
Remove the trac bars for better flex and ride qualiy. Look up your state inspection to see if you need to save them or just cut me off
Gealii is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #30
petertom13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yeah, I just read that in the article that someone shared, that was great, saved me from asking a bunch of future questions about my YJ that were bugging me. Including the cracked doors by the vents.
petertom13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.