Old Gas In Tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Old Gas In Tank

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Kim72

Old Gas In Tank

My son's 92 YJ has been in storage for about 5 years while he went to school and got established in a job. We're making plans to put it back on the road. The gas tank is about 1/2 full. I would believe that the gas is pretty stale by now. I tried to siphon it out but can't get a hose into the tank. Would adding new gas to the old be ok at this point?? Any gas additive I can use?? I don't want to have to drop the tank!!

Kim72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No, drain the tank. I would drop the tank and clean it myself. Dropping the tank is easy. The spray the inside of the tank with carb cleaner to make sure it is perfectly clean.

Bad gas is bad gas. You could burn a hole in a piston by mixing bad gas and new gas. Your risk. Five years is way too long to risk.

Plus by dropping the tank you can remove the 15 gallon tube and make the tank a 20 gallon tank.
Two birds with one stone.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

They make a 1/2 " siphon, it will fit in the YJ and it is manual activation using a ball bearing on the end. They also make a 99$ fluid siphon that is electrical, (i know what you're thinking, danger right?)it is quite common process in the marine industry though.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Problem with our Yj is that you have to go through two 90 degree turns before being able to siphon fuel.

On from the fuel fill to the tank and the other from the tank opening down to the fuel if I remember right? The hose must be very bendy or flexible.

I still say drop the tank so that you can clean the old varnished gas on the sides and bottom of the tank with the carb cleaner.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My son and I pulled a wrangler out of a back yard couple years ago. It was a mess. I threw a battery in it and it started. I tried to just add fresh gas and run with it. I started bending push rods when valves stuck. Ended up pulling the head and taking it to machine shop. The old motorhead told me I was running some bad gas. I dropped the tank and scraped varnish out for couple hours. Put rocks and carb cleaner in the loosen things up. Finally got it all clean. All is good now but skipping the cleaning the tank was not a time saver. Go ahead and convert your tank to a 20 gallon conversion (10 minutes) while you have it out.
clarkmcmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkmcmp
My son and I pulled a wrangler out of a back yard couple years ago. It was a mess. I threw a battery in it and it started. I tried to just add fresh gas and run with it. I started bending push rods when valves stuck. Ended up pulling the head and taking it to machine shop. The old motorhead told me I was running some bad gas. I dropped the tank and scraped varnish out for couple hours. Put rocks and carb cleaner in the loosen things up. Finally got it all clean. All is good now but skipping the cleaning the tank was not a time saver. Go ahead and convert your tank to a 20 gallon conversion (10 minutes) while you have it out.
Does the 20 gal hang down any more than the 16 gal?
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd be inclined to pull the fuel line by the filter and let it pump out first then pull the tank as it will be easier to handle.

Of course you need to make sure there are not any open flames, sparks, etc. when doing this and attach a longer piece of hose to have it drain into another container.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle_yj View Post
same exact tank. You remove part of the vent inside the filler tube.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle_yj

You don't actually use a different tank. You use the stock tank. Inside there is a vent tube. This tube protrudes into the tank a certain amount, when you fill the tank the gas splashes up into this tube, triggering the gas pump to stop pumping, telling you it's full. But it's only filled to 15 gallons. By removing this tube, you add an additional 5 gallons to the stock tank. This was an option avail at purchase for an extra cost when really the dealer is actually saving money on the tube.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.