Oil in TB intake and intake tube?!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil in TB intake and intake tube?!?!

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-14-2006, 08:01 AM   #1
Jeepin J-rod

Oil in TB intake and intake tube?!?!

Ok, my jeep has been running like crap for some time now. The check engine light finally came on when the mechanic had a chance to run the codes. It said the TPS was bad. So I bought that and when I took off the intake hose and looked down the throttle body there was oil in it, pretty bad too. After taking off the TPS it was very oily too. There was even oil running out of my intake hose where I had set it. I know this can't be right. So, does anyone know what I wrong, and what I need to do? Any help is great. thanks, Jared

bds 1" heavy duty shackles
33x12.5 ProComp m/t's
15x8 mickey thompson Classic/II's
Alpine cd player
Cobra Cb radio
python alarm
K&N Filter
Custom Bumper
Rocker Guards
Jeepin J-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
Bob_R
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If oil is being pushed back up into the intake then something is not doing it's job back down the line. check your PVC valve make sure it is working correctly, then go back to other possibilities like the clogged oil filter and/or bypass working/not working properly, too heavy of oil can cause this even. On the more expensive side perhaps the pump is pumping too much oil, did you or anyone else replace the pump with a different one? Are you leaking oil anywhere else?
Unread 05-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #3
Jeepin J-rod

Nothing has been changed that I know of. My oil filter is new, as I just did an oil change. I use 10w30 valvoline high milage motor oil. Isn't the Pcv valve made onto the line coming off of it? If so, then thats new too, b/c all my vaccuum lines are new. The pcv valve should be on the back end of the valve cover if I'm correct. Also my jeep needed the new TPS for about a year. So, maybe it just got alot of build up, and it won't do it any more with the new TPS.
33x12.5 ProComp m/t's
Alpine cd player
Cobra Cb radio
python alarm
K&N Filter
Custom Bumper
Rocker Guards
Unread 05-14-2006, 11:21 PM   #4
Bob_R
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well it is typical for some oil to get down the intake, but it sounds like you have way too much. You've got too much back pressure somewhere. Do you rev high? The TPS went because of the oil problem, but that won't fix the existing problem. You need to find that. It could even be a poorly fitted or even missing valve cover baffles letting the oil get sucked into the hose at the top of the cover. Also, could be a stuck PVC valve, even if it's new.
Unread 05-15-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
Jeepin J-rod

Oh, doesn't sound good, I better get on top of this. don't want it to ruin my engine. Thanks for all the help, Jared
33x12.5 ProComp m/t's
Alpine cd player
Cobra Cb radio
python alarm
K&N Filter
Custom Bumper
Rocker Guards
Unread 05-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #6
Jeepin J-rod

Also, what do you mean by rev. high?? If you mean rev the engine the highest I usually ever get is like 2,800rpm before I shift to over drive, then I'm running about 2,200rpm's. If thats what you mean anyways.
33x12.5 ProComp m/t's
Alpine cd player
Cobra Cb radio
python alarm
K&N Filter
Custom Bumper
Rocker Guards
Unread 05-15-2006, 08:50 AM   #7
tr6
1992 YJ Wrangler 

PCV err pvc

I thought the 4.0s didn't have PCV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_R
If oil is being pushed back up into the intake then something is not doing it's job back down the line. check your PVC valve make sure it is working correctly, then go back to other possibilities like the clogged oil filter and/or bypass working/not working properly, too heavy of oil can cause this even. On the more expensive side perhaps the pump is pumping too much oil, did you or anyone else replace the pump with a different one? Are you leaking oil anywhere else?
tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 12:31 PM   #8
Bob_R
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr6
I thought the 4.0s didn't have PCV's
I'm using the term generically, I don't' know if a 93 has one or not. But there is an item on the valve cover and forgive me for not knowing what it is called but it should be checked. the one that goes to the air cleaner and one to the rear. I don't have my book with me as I'm out in the desert right now. It's lunch time so after lunch and a cold one, I'm back into the dirt and rocks.
Unread 05-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
JaySpencer66
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like "blow by" or "blow back" depending on who you speak to. If it is, the only fix is a rebuild or new engine as I understand it. As I understand it, what is happening is that the rings are worn and letting the oil and pressurized air force up and into the hose that pulls the air up out of the valve cover with the oil in it. The tube that goes into the air cleaner is letting the oil out there and into the throttle body and out the filter box. It is endemic in the 4.0L FI engines. Some folks take the tube out of the filter box, plug the hole in the box, and let it drip out onto the exhaust manifold, or into a bottle, etc. I would think that plugging the tube from the valve cover would be bad because it would end up over pressuring the engine somehow and create more issues.
[color=#996600]/l[/color][color=#000000] , [/color][color=#996600] [[/color][color=#000000]____[/color][color=#996600]][/color],
[color=#996600]l---L--[color=#CCCCCC][][/color][color=#996600]lllllll[/color][color=#CCCCCC][][/color]-[/color]
[color=#000000][b]()_) ()_)[/b]----[b])_)[/b]
[/color][Url=http://www.deepblueforum.com]Deep Blue Forum[/url]
Member #1 of the "I Hate Torx Club!"
~anyone with a Jeep is an automatic member, and anyone can be member #1~
JaySpencer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 09:12 PM   #10
Jeepin J-rod

hmmm, I always thought blow by would cause an engine to smoke, as oil is being pushed by the cylinder, therefore to be burned on the next combustion stroke, causing smoke out of the exhaust. Could be wrong,I am no mechanic, and never want to be.Haha.
33x12.5 ProComp m/t's
Alpine cd player
Cobra Cb radio
python alarm
K&N Filter
Custom Bumper
Rocker Guards

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.