Oil smell when I let off throttle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil smell when I let off throttle

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
sconnell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oil smell when I let off throttle

I am trying to figure out why I smell oil or burning oil when I am driving down the road and let off the throttle. Most of the time I smell it when I am ready to roll up on a stop sign. When I am driving I smell nothing. I cant see any signs of oil leaking from my valve cover or my oil pan that would cause it to drip onto anything hot. I dont leak or burn any oil but yet smell it? Hopefully someone can give me some insight on what the problem may be?

sconnell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

it could be running down the back of the block and onto the top of the trans and running down on to the exhaust. you won't smell it driving because the wind takes the smell away
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
sconnell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I already looked all over the block from the valve cover down. I degreased the whole motor and dont see any wet spots.
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Xzero117
1990 YJ Wrangler 

your valve seals are most likely worn

oil gets by them when the engine goes into vacuum, such as when you let off the throttle or when you stop/ slow down by downshifting

ask someone to start the jeep for you while you keep a close eye on your tail pipe, if you see smoke which smells like oil on start up, it's the valve seals

on a 20 year old engine it's to be expected, if you're not gonna get the heads done just switch to heavier oil and hope it helps
Xzero117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
sconnell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have checked that also I dont see any smoke other than the normal when it has been 40* out in the morning and I dont smell any oil. I have that in my toyota tercel I do know that.
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Xzero117
1990 YJ Wrangler 

well if it ain't coming from the tail pipe then just clean your engine bay, and parts of the frame close to the engine, and then take a drive and look for oily spots

there has to be a leak somewhere which is making it's way to an exhaust pipe

you could also be sucking oil through your pcv valve, try replacing that, also check for engine blow by, does a lot of smoke come out when the engine is running and you remove the oil cap ?
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
SoNova
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just snow balling here, but could it be a worn T-case tail shaft seal that is slinging over to the exhaust pipe? Only leaking when driving and burning off so no drips? See if you have a greasy line beside the tail shaft
SoNova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
sconnell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNova View Post
Just snow balling here, but could it be a worn T-case tail shaft seal that is slinging over to the exhaust pipe? Only leaking when driving and burning off so no drips? See if you have a greasy line beside the tail shaft
I do have a leaking tail shaft seal, and I cleaned the muffler off and made a sheild so that it wouldn't get coverd again. I have parts on the way to replace the seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzero117 View Post
well if it ain't coming from the tail pipe then just clean your engine bay, and parts of the frame close to the engine, and then take a drive and look for oily spots

there has to be a leak somewhere which is making it's way to an exhaust pipe

you could also be sucking oil through your pcv valve, try replacing that, also check for engine blow by, does a lot of smoke come out when the engine is running and you remove the oil cap ?
I have degreased my engine and cant find any wet spots. I am gonna change the PCV valve and see if that helps.
Unread 08-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Are you one of those that cut the end of your hood cowl drain? If so that is why.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
sconnell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Are you one of those that cut the end of your hood cowl drain? If so that is why.
Cut the hood cowl drain? Never heard of such a thing. What does that do or what does it affect and why would it cause an oil smell?
Unread 08-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
sconnell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I just went out and looked at my drain tube. It is there and it is a rubber hose that goes down to almost the tranny bell housing. It is squished/crimped at the bottom with a slit in the bottom and up the side about half an inch. Is this what it is supposed to look like or is it not supposed to be cut?
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds right. The hose is a drain for your cowl. It needs to be cleaned regularly of debris or you will get water overflow in the cab. Some will cut the tapered end to avoid having to keep it clean which can cause motor smells inside the cab.

The slit should be only on the bottom of the hose. If yours is larger that could be the problem for the odor.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
sconnell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok sounds like mine is the way it should be then. I guess when I make it to the parts store I will pick up new pcv valve and try that next. After that I guess I deal with it unless I stumble upon something else.
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
Xzero117
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnell View Post
Ok sounds like mine is the way it should be then. I guess when I make it to the parts store I will pick up new pcv valve and try that next. After that I guess I deal with it unless I stumble upon something else.
take off the oil cap with the engine running, check for blowby

a little is normal, if you're getting a lot it means the engine is showing it's age

I recommend a heavier oil if that's the case, 15w-40 is what you should be running in the straight 6 during the warm months
Unread 08-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
sconnell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I will go out and check for blowby. If I remember right I have done that also and have very little blowby. I did replace my pcv valve today and when I went to rattle the pcv valve there was no rattle. So I am hoping that my problem was with a bad pcv valve.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.