Oil Pressure.... too high? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil Pressure.... too high?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
MikeyJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Oil Pressure.... too high?

Once warmed up I idle at say 35-40 and any acceleration in rpms it pins to 80... sometimes when highway driving and in 5th running 3k rpms I can smell a slight hint of oil in the air.

No oil on the air filter...
This high oil pressure seem okay?
Engine has had all seals done within the last couple years.

MikeyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
JEEPorado
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It may just be your gauge, mine goes wacky and pins alot. Check for leaks and if your PCV is working properly. If you have no leaks, then the gauge is probably false because high pressure would probably cause a seal blowout. Since it happens at acceleration, I would say it's okay
JEEPorado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

whacky pressure often indicates low oil or improper distribution of oil in the engine. Check and make sure you have the proper amount in, and if you can smell it you may be burning it.

97 TJ Sport black on black with MT/R Kevlars and lots of new parts coming!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

My Fuelly page (fuel economy and usage tracking)
sprowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
YJInterceptor
1996 ZJ 

according to my Haynes Manual, that sounds normal. Mine was all over the place until I replaced the oil sender unit, and then its read steady. At low rpms its around 40 and high rpms 80.
YJInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'd suspect the oil sender is on it's way out.
Your oil pressure is regulated by the oil pump and should not usually be above 50 PSI.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
MikeyJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not the smell of burning oil... smell of just raw oil.

Its idling at 30 and pins when driving.
MikeyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
YJInterceptor
1996 ZJ 

I looked it up in ther Haynes manual.

Chapter 2 Part D General Engine overhaul procedures
Page 2D-2
Oil Pressure
at idle...................25 to 35 psi
above 1600 rpm......37 to 75 psi

Mine was pegging as well. Replace your sender unit. You will need a special socket for it which you should be able to pick up when you get the sender.
YJInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
hicketts
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just redid the lifters and rockers in my 2.5 and the gauge was doing the same thing before I started, even with a brand new sending unit. When I removed the valve cover the whole top end was nothing but sludge, I worked on hundreds of motors and have never ever seen something like this. I cleaned every thing really good and removed the oil pan and cleaned all of that. When I reassembled and started the motor the oil pressure returned to perfect operating pressures, I think it was so slugged oil couldn't flow correctly.
Unread 05-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
50rck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This may sound stupid, but I took all the fittings off the sender unit, including the bracket and cleaned all the sludge out. It works great now.

On a side note, hicketts, was Quaker State run in that motor. Over the years I have heard of that oil getting sludge on everything.

2006 Jeep Liberty. Nothing special, all stock.
50rck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
Combat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My gauge did this when my sending unit was going out. replace it.
Combat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #11
hicketts
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50rck View Post
This may sound stupid, but I took all the fittings off the sender unit, including the bracket and cleaned all the sludge out. It works great now.

On a side note, hicketts, was Quaker State run in that motor. Over the years I have heard of that oil getting sludge on everything.
The story with the jeep was that the guy got into a bike accident and let it sit in his garage for like 6 years, he probably went out and started it for like 5 minutes every week and never got it up to temp. Before that a women owned it since new, and who's knows how often she changed it.

I have never had a problem with Quaker state, I just rebuilt my wife's subaru, because of a bad head gasket, 2.5L and always ran Quaker state and at 146,000, every thing looked great. Oh yea I also live in Pennsylvania and we are the Quaker state and the beginning of the oil industry. We have Pennzoil and other stuff like that
Unread 05-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #12
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

One time I was driving form Florida to California and my oil pressure gauge dropped to Zero. I was on the highway no one around and this was before cell phones. I sat there for a moment to decide what to do.

I reasoned that a motor will run for hours with no oil. When you put load on it the motor will not last very far without oil. This much I know.

I started the motor and let it run for a few minutes looking into the valve cover I could see plenty of oil splashing around. So I knew the pump was still working. Got back into the car and drove on. replaced the sending unit when I reached my destination.

Sending unit go bad often.

Please research before you call me a liar about the motor running without oil. I have seen it. Also with the first motors the operator had to get out every mile or so to to squirt oil onto the motor. This was before autos had a fully enclosed lubricating system. The first gas motors also did not have a enclosed crank case. That was invented by George Selden, the same man that invented the automobile in 1877.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #13
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds kinda high to me.

Mine runs at 20 when idling and 40 when driving
Unread 05-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #14
Goobersbro

when i start the jeep im between 45-60 then it warms up and it goes down to 40 then once i have been driving for over like 20 minutes it will drop down to like 35 at idle and depending on how hard im getting on it it will go up to like 60-70

Im good with mine though because in September i replaced the oil pump sending unit had a oil change and changed the oil filter and all my seals are good so im okay with my pressure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.