Oil Pressure sending unit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil Pressure sending unit

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 09-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
boaty1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Oil Pressure sending unit

I replaced my oil sending unit a few months ago and now I think it might be going out again.* Is this normal that they can go out so fast.* Connection seems to be ok.* It jumps around and pegs alot.* Is this the problem???* Thanks guys.

http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/funkytruck/play.php

90 yj, new reman 4.2 ax15, weber 32/36, 2 1/2" RC lift, discos, 1" boom shackles, tcase drop (I HAD TOO). homemade flares.
boaty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

A short to ground somewhere in the wire from the sending unit can cause this. Check the wire for someplace that may be shorting out on the frame or engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
88TNSahara
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I agree. CHeck for a short somewhere.
On a related note, do you have to drain the oil to change the sending unit? If you change it out with oil in the motor will oil run out all over the place? Thanks!
88TNSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine just screwed in with oil in the engine. As long as the engine's not running, there's no pressure and it won't push oil out. Put on a little thread tape to make it seal tight and you're fine.
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
J33P'r
She has her top off!!!
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Troubleshoot Oil pressure sending unit

I have AMC360, I've located my oil pressure sending unit (Im pretty sure thats it) one post terminal, how can I test it to see if its sending info to the guage? my guage does NOT work at all, so i dontknow if its the sending unit or the guage... and I want to troubleshoot it

"Right tools for the Right Job produce Right Results"
J33P'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #6
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Try a mech. test gauge kit from someplace like Harbor Freight. Got mine for about 20 bucks.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J33P'r View Post
I have AMC360, I've located my oil pressure sending unit (Im pretty sure thats it) one post terminal, how can I test it to see if its sending info to the guage? my guage does NOT work at all, so i dontknow if its the sending unit or the guage... and I want to troubleshoot it
Most all single wire senders (whether oil, temp, fuel, etc.) have 12V applied to the gauge, and the ground is provided through the sensor's single wire. When a complete ground (meaning good ground with no resistance value) is applied to the single wire from the sensor, the guage "pegs" out with it's highest reading. So, if you supply the sensor wire with a solid ground and your gauge reads it's highest reading, you can be reasonably sure that the gauge is working, and that the wiring is okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
dbikers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i put a sunpro mechanical gage in mine for $15 (put it where the clock goes as neither worked)...easy install, looks almost factory and it works like you'd expect it to..very responsive

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.