Oil Pressure Sending Unit - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
JohnW720
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Oil Pressure Sending Unit

For the last few weeks the oil pressure has been been dancing around on the dash and would eventually hit zero when at a warm idle. So I got under the jeep and unplugged the wiring harness and saw that there was oil inside of the connector. Is this a sign that the sender has gone bad or is this due to a possible bigger problem? Also, I was going to take the sensor out of the block, but if i do that, will oil start leaking out? I was going to take it to the store with me, but if it will make the oil drain out, Ill leave it in there. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2015, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
JohnW720
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Damn, posted this in the wrong place, Not sure how to delete it, but mods feel free to take it down
post #3 of 7 Old 10-16-2015, 11:18 AM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

On the yj, you can take the sending unit out without a problem. Pretty sure its the same on the tj. Probably no need to take it to the store though.

You cant turn the engine on with it removed though.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-16-2015, 12:29 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

clean it up with some sensor clean. The oil inside the connector is a sign of one of two things or both: a) gives you faulty readings b)its on its way out.

Either way - i would try the cheap fix first. Take it out and clean it up with some sensor clean. Put it back in and see where you're at.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
post #5 of 7 Old 10-16-2015, 01:45 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I usually agree with bruinjeeper, but have to -1 to this suggestion. The part is around $25 on Amazon prime. If you have the original unit and has oil on it, you don't want to mess around with the chance of this thing failing completely. It could be catastrophic. There are a few cases on the forum of people losing all of their oil within seconds after a oil pressure sending unit burst.

For the price, its worth just swapping to a fresh one.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-20-2015, 03:46 PM
bordious
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with Mike, mine busted and luckily, by chance, I only drove a few hundred yards before parking. There was literally a solid trail of oil where I drove around the parking lot looking for a spot. I had no idea it happened until I got out of my Jeep. If I would have kept driving, it could have been bad. Opened the hood and cranked it, it was shooting out of the busted unit.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-21-2015, 07:33 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You're right Mike.

That was lazy of me and very ****ty advice. Good call. (FWIW, my brand new oil pressure sender has a little oil inside the harness connector - i am pretty sure it is NOT on its way out as its only 45 days old - just giving me funky readings. I cleaned it out with sensor clean). I should have taken into account that the OP didn't post it was new.

And yes, i have heard about oil switches being a lemon. Mine has been fine since cleaning out though (might have been a risky call). I think when i changed it i cannot recall inspecting the harness.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.