Oil Pressure Sender - 89 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil Pressure Sender - 89 YJ

Halloween Savings to die for!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 01-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
mark1305

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oil Pressure Sender - 89 YJ

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but I couldn't dig it up with searches...

My oil pressure guage does the familiar full scale deflection or no movement at all when starting up. Randomly, although lately its been just no movement. A while back it would randomly shift from full scale pegged to the actual oil pressure, but not often.

The sender is on a small manifold block with a single sender pointed straight up that matches pictures of guage senders with a single wire. Also sprouting from that small manifold/adapter thingy is another sender angled upward and forward with a two-wire connecter attached.

My dash does not have an oil pressure light, just the guage. The Jeep is a hodge podge of parts thrown together, so I don't know if the engine came from a Jeep with both guage and light, or what.

Any one have the real scoop? I don't want to plunk down $33 for a sender if the guage is bad, or screw around with another circuit that may or may not do something else related to oil pressure.

I tried grounding out the single wire from what looks to be the guage sender and got no response from the guage. Also checked for voltage at the green wire that hooks to that sender - nothing.

mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The single wire one is the Oil pressure sending unit, the other is from what i understand a low oil pressure shut down unit but only works if you are not Nuttered.
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

usually they wire one of those to the electric choke on the original carb.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
MaddBones702
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The lower one, two pronged, is an oil pressure switch hooked to the electronic choke. The oil sender, single prong, feeds the info to the gauge. Sender is about $17 from Morris and 4wheel parts. I'll be replacing mine this weekend. Turn on ignition and gauge pegs all the way to the right.
MaddBones702 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

the two wire "switch" controls both your electric choke and is tied into the relay controlling your manifold heater. The single wire "sending unit" is for your gauge. Be careful when changing to make sure you don't break the Tee they fit into. The full deflection usually indicates that your sender is going to ground and is bad. I replaced mine some time ago for about the $17 cost. They are readily available at most any parts store.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Advance Auto Parts has the single-wire gauge switch for $37 and the two-wire choke switch for $15. I need the switch also, but $37 is a bit pricey for me.
hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

17 at autozone
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Shoot! My bad, that's right i knew the 2 wire went to something other than a light. Sorry for the misinformation!
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.