OIl Pressure Reading - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OIl Pressure Reading

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
apaol002

OIl Pressure Reading

I have a 90 YJ with a 4 banger in it and I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. What is the gauge suppose to read normally for oil pressure? Any help would be appreciated.

apaol002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

It varies by rig. What does yours say???

The general rule of thumb is 10 PSI for every 1000RPM's. So you can have a rig idle as low as 10 PSI and be upwards of 70PSI at speed. Generally, between 20 and 60 is the norm.

Again, what does yours say???

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Rusty is right.

Just for the record mine runs about 65 (consistantly) after an oil change, and it lets me know when it needs another. It will drop to 40 while driving and a little lower (20 or so) at idle.
And you keep the terrorists in check before you get your *** blowed off.[/B][/FONT]
RebuildRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
apaol002

Thanks everyone for the input first off. My oil pressure gauge reads anywhere between 40 and 60 when idling. When I give it gas and get some speed it reaches somewhere around 80 - 85. I am just wondering if this is normal or not. I hate seeing the needle go back and forth so much, it makes me nervous. I just want to know if this is normal or should I start looking for a problem, and if so, where do I look?

Thakns again.
apaol002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

The needle will ALWAYS move.

What weight oil are you running and where is the oil level on the dip stick when cold??? That pressure is ok, not great but ok.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It will stay at 50-60 all the time if you put Lucas oil stabilizer in it. That's what mine does. Otherwise, 40 at idle, 50-60 when you're going down the road at speed... usually... as others have said the gauge accuracy is questionable. 80... you might want to check on that.

I bought an 87 MasterCraft Prostar 190 (ski boat) with a 351 Windsor in July '09 and my oil pressure would go to 80 and sometimes max out the gauge (almost 100). There was gas in the oil, so we (me and the old man) took the top of the motor apart and the main gasket was bad and there were a few loose bolts too. Amazingly it ran just fine but how long it would have continued to run in that state is a question I'm glad I never found an answer to.

That boat has VDO gauges though which are incredibly accurate unlike the gauges in YJs. So It could be the gauge but it might not be. Check to see if there's gas or god forbid... water... in your oil. That's how we found out with the boat.

Last edited by Wheelman286; 04-12-2010 at 08:33 PM..
Wheelman286 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.