oil pressure fluctuating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > oil pressure fluctuating

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all JKS Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
yjjustforme
1995 YJ Wrangler 

oil pressure fluctuating

hey guys i got a ?. In the morning i start the jeep and the oil pressure guage reads like 60 and everything is fine and dandy. its when i have been driving it around for a while and the engine is warmed up and its warm outside that the guage will drop to around 40 or lower while idling. do u guys think its the oil pressure sending unit? if so i should just be able to do a quick swap of the "faulty" one right. (its right above the oil filter right?). thanks in advance.

Unread 10-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

mine does that too. maybe it is a problem but I attribute it to the fact that once the oil warms up it thins up some so when you drop back down to idle the oil pressure lowers
Unread 10-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

you are correct the sending unit is right above the filter, all in all your looking at a $5 part that takes 2 min. to install, worth trying it in my opinion.
Nightcrew Member #093

DEER--- It's whats for supper!!
DEERSLAYER94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That is perfectly normal. Cold oil has a higher viscosity resulting in a higher pressure at cold start up. Once its warmed up it will drop. 40 at idle is pretty good pressure. Around 20 at idle is normal for high milage +100k.

Less then 10 at idle and you need to have a good look at your main bearings
wanabejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
yjjustforme
1995 YJ Wrangler 

k thanks guys my odo says 183k but i have had larger sized tires for YEARS so i pretty sure its way off. also i heard its ok to run 10 40 oil in my jeep when it has that many miles.
Unread 10-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias94yj View Post
mine does that too. maybe it is a problem but I attribute it to the fact that once the oil warms up it thins up some so when you drop back down to idle the oil pressure lowers
Same here.
Unread 10-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
godzirra
1992 YJ Wrangler 

mine idles at about half untill i press the gas pedal then it stays at 80 but comes back down once i stop. it goes up and down depending on how much gas i give it
Unread 10-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine sits higher while cold. But on really hot days and such, it'll idle at 20 then under load I'm always at 40.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That is normal. Once the oil is warmed up the oil pressure should drop some at idle. As long as the pressure builds along with the RPMs you are fine. One of the local engine builders told me many years ago that as long as you have about 10 psi per 1000 RPM all is good. This is coming from a Ford guy that mainly builds race engines.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
XsaltlifeX
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Normal, don't worry at all!! Mine does the same thing!
XsaltlifeX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Normal,
In 96 the Mustang changed from a "real" guage to a guage that is nothing more than an idiot light wih a needle. People wouild see the guage moving and think that there was a problem then head off to the dealer so then the dealer would have to convince the customer there was nothing wrong.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #12
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

my 93 with 70k miles idles at 65psi (cold), and normally stays at 60psi at all times.
Unread 11-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #13
msfitnrtz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Whew! this happened today and glad it might be normal although took a while for idle to finally level off. I will still monitor & look at changing the oil and sensor.

Love these forums!

Thank You!

2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon!
Auto
msfitnrtz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The thing to look for is a change in oil pressure behavior. All engines have their individual quirks.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.