oil pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > oil pressure

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-21-2002, 04:58 AM   #1
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

oil pressure

I'm not sure if this is normal but maybe someone can tell me. My oil pressure seems to drops down to about 20psi after running 60+ mph for more than 40 minutes, it happens when I put it in park. If this isn't normal what can I do? Also my jeep is running hot 210-220 would this cause the oil to get to hot? I'm running 10w-30, should I change to 10w-40 or intall a oil cooler? Thanks for the help!

Unread 06-21-2002, 05:20 AM   #2
Bob K

You've got the right ideas. Oil does thin out at high temperature. I run 10-40 year round in New England. The other factor to consider is how reliable and accurate you oil pressure gauge and sender are. Factory Spec for oil pressure in the 4.0 is 13 psi at idle, 37 - 75 psi above 1600 rpm. I would try to get that operating temp down anyway.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2002, 05:34 AM   #3
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to flush the radiator, change upper and lower hoses, replace drain plug, and thermostat. Anything I'm missing? I what temp thermostat should I get? I was thinking 190 degree....
Unread 06-21-2002, 07:56 AM   #4
rick_chicago

I believe 195 is OE spec for the 2.5L. Not sure about the 6.

I'd certainly switch to 10W-40 during the summer months in Ohio. The current tempatures are pretty high for 30.
Unread 06-23-2002, 09:31 AM   #5
Bob K

Same with the temp as oil pressure. If you have a reading above or below normal check the accuracy of the gauge before you drop a lot of money fixing "problems" that might not exist. Also check your fan clutch to be sure it is engaging as needed. 195 degree is recommended. My Jeep ran fine for years with a 180, but if there is an overheating problem a lower temp thermostat will not fix it, it will only give you a bit more time before it heats up. Also clean the outside of the radiator for maximum cooling.

Happy Jeepin'
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler

Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Just getting started!

Unread 06-24-2002, 04:28 AM   #6
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I flushed the radiator and it seemed to help, the temp went down about 5 degrees. I still have to change the thermostat. How do I check the fan clutch bearings? My fan runs as soon as the engine starts.
Unread 06-24-2002, 04:53 PM   #7
Bob K

It has been said, Though I've never dared try it, that the way to test it is to warm up the engine then hold a piece of cardboard against the fan. If the fan stops turning you need to replace the clutch assembly. I would suggest warming up the engine thoroughly then shut down the engine and try to spin the fan by hand. You should feel significant resistance. If the fan spins freely the clutch is shot. This would be a cause of the engine running hot in traffic, but cooling down on the highway.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler

Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Just getting started!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.