Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Oil pressure

774 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Synthisis 
#1 ·
when im idling at a stoplight or sto sign my oil pressure gauge is reading at 70, it is usually right in the middle at 40, but for some reason it is at this amount.

is this normal?
what is it supposed to be at?
what can i do to fixit, or what is causing this?

#2 ·

Ive got an AUTO TJ and I have a oil pressure problem too. When my oil is cold my pressure is about 55psi and runs higher as the engine goes, but as my oil gets hotter my idling oil pressure drops-- signifcantly.

Cold idling about 55 psi
Hot oil pressure idling is about 30 psi
Running (in gear) about 60 psi

Does anyone else have this problem? Is this normal? What can I do to maintain oil pressure at all temperatures and driving conditions?

#3 ·
yeah mine is at the top when i turn it on and when i've been running it for a while, does anyone have any suggestions

#4 ·
More than likely its your sending unit starting to bid its final farewell. Not to worry. It'll cost you about $15 for a new unit and the install is easy.

A 4.2 and 4.0 Jeep has a really low warm idling pressure (about 13psi). At a few thousand rpms it should be between 37-60psi.

MB

#5 ·
does your ex. apply to 4cyl

#6 ·
Whoops, missed that you had a four banger. It may. I would try replaing the sending unit first as this would be the cheapest fix.

MB

#7 ·
will do tomorrow thanks dude

#8 ·

Where are you guys getting these sending units for $15? The dealer wants almost $50 and local parts stores are asking $42+.

Most folks say that 10 psi per 1000 rpm is still okay. The dealer wants to charge me $50 just to diagnose it.

If I can get the sensor for $15 Im gonna replace it, if not-- then Im not gonna even mess with it.

FYI - The Oil Pressure Sending Unit (Sensor) is located on the passenger side in the middle of the block.

Thanks for all the help guys (and gals)

#10 ·
Advance Auto Parts (partsamerica.com) is where I go. they have the guage sending unit/switch for $15.49.

MB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.