Oil passing through PVC valve over to air filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil passing through PVC valve over to air filter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
csamanie

Oil passing through PVC valve over to air filter

Came home today and saw oil under neath the "94 Wrangler with a 4.0L H.O.. The oil was coming from the air filter box and the filter was covered with oil. Would this indicate a bad PVC valve, or something else a bit more drastic. Along with the PVC valve on the valve cover, there is another valve similar to the PVC valve, but located further back towards the fire wall. Is this some type of vacuum valve? Any advise on what to look for as being the problem would be greatly appreciated.

csamanie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2014, 01:38 AM   #2
Wyogunman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've never had oil make it to the ground but oil on your air filter is normal. I just changed mine today and it was soaked.
Wyogunman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2014, 02:40 AM   #3
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogunman View Post
I've never had oil make it to the ground but oil on your air filter is normal. I just changed mine today and it was soaked.
NO that is not normal.

I am sure you will get someone with more patience to answer your question. I`ve done it too many times to do it again.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Time for a compression and leak down test.......
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogunman View Post
Normal??? No, its not normal. You say the oil on the ground is coming from the air cleaner box?? Are you sure? Check your valve cover - there are baffles on the inside that get gummed up and doesnt allow it to breath... also check your PCV to make sure its not stuck or gummed up as well. I would be concerned if I saw oil from the air box dripping onto the ground. Many people have a bit of oil staining on their air cleaner but either way you are not supposed to. It would be helpful(always is) to add a picture of what it is you are seeing as well.

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

There is no "valve" in the 4.0, just a metered orifice in one of the lines.

Both lines must be free and open, the vacuum fitting must be clear, and the baffle in the valve cover must be free and clear. If these aren't all correct, you get oil in your air filter
Unread 04-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
92yjwoolf

Had the same problem, was getting a lot of blow by, tore engine apart and 2 pistons had broken rings!
92yjwoolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, i had that same issue. Cleaned out the vacuum lines going from the PCV to the carb. Also cleaned out the CCV lines going from the back of the engine to the air filter box, which is where you oil should be coming from.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #286
89 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 33x10.5 BFG's on 15x8

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Sagerist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
csamanie

First off thanks to all who took the time to reply to my question of the oil staining my air filter to the point of oil dripping onto the ground. I removed all the air and vacuum hoses and cleaned them making sure they were not plugged. I then blew air through each hose to make sure they were clear. I purchased a new "PVC" valve from the Jeep Dealer, which I was told it is not really a PVC valve but a valve with a small orifice. The baffles underneath the valve cover were a little cruddy and so I vacuumed as much crude as possible with a vacuum pump. The only thing I can think of now is that the old metered valve was somewhat plugged and did not allow a flow of air and vacuum through the whole system. I will continue to check the air filter regularly and see if the oil reappears again.
csamanie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #10
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly, I would remove the valve cover and completely clean those baffles before reinstalling... I'm not sure that the vacuum pump was able to get them the way they need to be cleaned... But good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum... So excuse the typos, my iPhone is challenged.

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #11
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ This. Mine was completely blocked from years of crude from the PO and the only way to get it out was taking the valve cover off and getting in there. There are spots you can't even get to with the cover on.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #286
89 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 33x10.5 BFG's on 15x8

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Sagerist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.