Oil in my air filter?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil in my air filter??

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oil in my air filter??

I've got a fuel smell in the (cab? tub?) inside. I inspected the air filter the other day just to have a baseline (I've just recently purchased the jeep) and found a small amount of oil and residue in my filter. I inspected and cleaned out the line coming from the box (goes into the top of the engine). No major obstructions came out and so now I'm left guessing. Any thoughts??

94_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Very common in the 4.0L's. I have some residual oil coming in but nothing like it use to be. You'll need to check the CCV system (Closed Crankcase Ventilation). Check the fitting on the back of the valve cover and make sure it's not plugged as well as the vacuum line and fitting to the intake. I actually took my valve cover off and cleaned the baffles underneath. They bolt into the underside to keep the oil from coming through those top ports. However, sludge and gunk build up over the years and they need to be cleaned.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
packdog
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Stock setup?

What year is your jeep and does it look like an unmodified, stock setup as far as engine, carb, and emissions?

Some setups have a rubber hose that goes into the air cleaner. The other end of that hose is sometimes connected to the PCV valve (on the top of the valve cover). If that is what yours is like I would check out the PCV valve to make sure it is working properly. They are cheap and easy to replace if you are not sure if it is working or not. That is one way to get oil in your air filter.

*Louie gave a better reply while I was typing mine*
packdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by packdog View Post
What year is your jeep and does it look like an unmodified, stock setup as far as engine, carb, and emissions?

Some setups have a rubber hose that goes into the air cleaner. The other end of that hose is sometimes connected to the PCV valve (on the top of the valve cover). If that is what yours is like I would check out the PCV valve to make sure it is working properly. They are cheap and easy to replace if you are not sure if it is working or not. That is one way to get oil in your air filter.

*Louie gave a better reply while I was typing mine*
Good think you asked what the specs were because it could very well be an earlier model.

OP, fill out your profile so we know the details of your jeep.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
94_Yeti
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good call guys, its a 94 with the 2.5L. Everything seems to be pretty stock on the inside and yes, as described I've got the rubber hose going to a valve (PCV??) Going into the top of my valve cover. Also I don't know if it makes a difference but I have the S model which doesn't have pwr (Until I do the conversion this weekend ) steering or A/C.
94_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
packdog
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Try cleaning the PCV valve

I suggest cleaning out the PCV valve. They rarely go bad, but it does happen. I would clean it and the hose out and then check it again the next time I filled the gas tank.

Personally I clean a lot of oily stuff with brake cleaner and I would just spray some in the valve, shake it, empty it, repeat until it comes out clean. Then spray a bunch through the hose just to make sure that the stuff stuck to the sides doesn't get pulled out and end up in the air cleaner.
packdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check the oil level the 2.5L will spit out anything extra above the full line either through the breather or wherever it can leak. The above is good to go clean it all up and check the hoses aren't going flat or clogged. The one in the back comes from the airbox to supply fresh air for crankcase ventilation and then the front one with PCV valve passes the vapors unburnt in gaseous state to the intake to be burned. When the engine doesn't get up to operating temp on short trips in the winter you will find oil residue in a non gaseous state left behind. Normal ops for a 4 banger.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
p2555016zr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm assuming the Jeep is a 94 and not you. All of my 94's little hard plastic lines were plugged up when I got mine. Those lines are your PVC system as the 4.0 doesn't have an official pcv valve. Oil was being pushed up into the distributor in addition to the air box due to back pressure in the engine. I tried to clean them but they were so old and dry they broke apart while handling them. As of three years ago they were all still available and were somewhere around 100 bucks at the dealer. After replacing them and cleaning the valve cover it is leak free and at 250,000 miles it burns less than 1/2 quart in between oil changes.

or... you have worn piston rings.
p2555016zr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

If he has a 94 here is a cheap fix that someone did a great write-up on.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/4...d-lol-1445007/

There we fixed it for you!!!

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
p2555016zr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I guess I over paid by about $90. Thats how I'll redo it next time. Those lines won't be available at the dealer forever.
p2555016zr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #11
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

A little oil in the air filter isn't an issue on older engines. Rings wear a little and you start getting extra oil mist being recycled into the intake.
On some systems you can incorporate a collection bottle between the valve cover and the intake that will let the oil drop out but unless your air filter starts to get clogged with oil I wouldn't worry.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.