oil leak after new main rear seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > oil leak after new main rear seal

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!

Unread 02-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
daltonfarr69
1987 YJ Wrangler 

oil leak after new main rear seal

I replaced my main rear seal last week after living with a oil leak for years. Afterwards the motor developed a squeaking noise coming from the under the engine at all rpms. This squeak went away after a day of driving the jeep around. Now the jeep still leaks oil and i might even say worse than before! I followed all the directions posted from old threads here on the forum and also watched several youtube videos beforehand.

has anyone heard of the squeaking after the new rear seal?
I wonder if that was the sound of the new seal getting burned up

daltonfarr69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

sounds are very hard for us to tell ya what it was... But since its leaking again, you will need to change it again. There is a double lip seal that rides on another spot on the crank so its less likely to leak.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2015, 05:05 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

First I would take a clean rag, run the engine for a few minutes, shut it down and wipe the rag across the rear of the head just below your valve cover. If the rag finds oil, you have found the first leak.
The leak getting worse, could be a failed rear main install. Did you have it good and clean so it would stick where you put the dabs of RTV?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

horror story, i know because i went thru it. are you positive you installed the seal correctly? one side of it goes toward the front of the engine. it is very easy to put the the top half in backwards. also the pan gasket at the rear of the pan on the 1/2 circle (where it dips down) has to line up perfectly so it seats into the groove on the engine. took mine apart twice and stilled leaked, sold it!!
good luck..........
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #5
bck4more
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ive heard many times over of people having a rear main leak and go to replace it many of time and still leaks so what ive gathered is if its just a drop here and there id leave it imo
Unread 02-17-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bck4more View Post
Ive heard many times over of people having a rear main leak and go to replace it many of time and still leaks so what ive gathered is if its just a drop here and there id leave it imo
Good advice!!!
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
mickcollinsb16b

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahanabob View Post
horror story, i know because i went thru it. are you positive you installed the seal correctly? one side of it goes toward the front of the engine. it is very easy to put the the top half in backwards. also the pan gasket at the rear of the pan on the 1/2 circle (where it dips down) has to line up perfectly so it seats into the groove on the engine. took mine apart twice and stilled leaked, sold it!!
good luck..........
very important. the seal is directional. and i dont mess with the vatozone, Napa seals. just go to the dealer for something that important. ive done 3 (2-4.0's and a 4.2) and none of them leaked. one time i bought a felpro or some other aftermarket seal cause the dealer was closed and i did not get it in successful. it kept riding more on the side of the block which is sharp and it cut it. if you pm i will give you full proof method if you want. no leaks.
Unread 02-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
YJ8
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the club

You are not alone, I had to do mine 4 times before it sealed perfectly, but this is not a sad story, it has been 14 years since, with no oil leaks . You will get there too.
As stated, the seal is directional but I found the larger problem is the 4 piece oil pan gaskets are a PITA, use ample RTV in the rear corners and cross your fingers, keep the faith, one of these times you will nail it.

Yj-8
YJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #9
Leadmine
1979 CJ5 

Another note on the pan gasket, if you don't have one go rent/buy/borrow an inch-lb torque wrench. I did a real seal and pan gasket on the 304 in my CJ. Tightened the pan bolts with a 1/4 drive ratchet tying to be careful not to squish the gasket (I think specs call for 11 to 16 in/lbs, not much). Squished it anyway, fired the engine and it POURED. Luckily we have an old school mechanic at work that I was telling my delima to and he loaned me an inch-lb wrench. I used the wrench to factory specs and *knock on wood* my engine hasn't leaked a drop of oil in about 8 months....from the pan or rear seal anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.